Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No cats

Old 07-19-2003, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No cats

I am thinking about banging out my cats, and adding o2 sims. Do you guys have any imput on that? How will the car sound with no cats and 3" exhaust ? Is it worth the effort?
Old 07-19-2003, 03:44 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: No cats

Raspy for sure. Do you have headers? Is it worth the effort? Probably not on stock manifolds. Some headers and an off-road pipe? Yes. Gutting or removing the cats alone? Not really. As for the rasp, you can get a bullet muffler and put it in the I-pipe. That killed about 95% of my rasp.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

If you will be gutting the stock cats and leaving the empty shells in the Y-pipe, then it will not rasp. If you will be replacing them with strait pipe, then it will rasp some in the 2100-2400rpm range depending on what catback exhaust you have.

With gutted cats the car will sound deeper and louder. I liked it when I did it. In many ways I think it sounded better with gutted stock cats than it does now with an ORY. But the ORY will give much more power than gutted cats,....
Old 07-19-2003, 10:37 AM
Launching!

If you will be gutting the stock cats and leaving the empty shells in the Y-pipe, then it will not rasp. If you will be replacing them with strait pipe, then it will rasp some in the 2100-2400rpm range depending on what catback exhaust you have.

With gutted cats the car will sound deeper and louder. I liked it when I did it. In many ways I think it sounded better with gutted stock cats than it does now with an ORY. But the ORY will give much more power than gutted cats,....
yup, mine rasps up till about 2.5K RPM. The idle is nice and rasp less though
Old 07-19-2003, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I guuted my cats with the LM on,it was crazy loud and raspy. I swaped the LM for a Hooker catback and now get nothing but complements on the sound. Cant wait to add some Pacesetter headers.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:09 PM
Teching In

I have the stock manifolds, I would like the car to be louder at idle, but do not have the money to purchase/install headers at this time. My install ory.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Mine is stock manifolds, gutted cats, SLP y-pipe, Hooker 3" catback. It sounds awesome (although I haven't heard it outside the car yet except for idle). It has no rasp and isn't that loud at idle but 1600 rpm and up sounds real good.

Search this Thread