Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I Ground The O2 Sensors To The Chassis?

Old 07-19-2003, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Can I Ground The O2 Sensors To The Chassis?

As some of you are well aware, I can’t seem to solve my SES problems and I’m getting “Insufficient Switching” codes for both front O2 sensors. If you want to read up on everything I’ve done to solve the problem, you can read it here, or you can just believe me when I say I’ve done everything members at ls1.com and lsltech.com have recommended:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...p;pagenumber=1

I looked at the wiring diagrams for my ’98 Z28, and the only thing that I can conclude now is that I’ve burned a wire. The O2 sensors only have 2 wires in common, the pink wire (power for the heating element of the O2 I presume) and the black wire, which is for the ground. I don’t think the pink wire is the issue because it also goes to the EGR system and several other emissions related equipment, and they’re not having any problems, so that leaves the common ground as the possible problem.

Can I just splice the O2 ground wires from the front O2’s and ground them to the chassis? According to the diagram I have, the O2’s are grounded to the chassis, not back to the PCM. Can I run a jumper wire, or if the ground is grounding against the headers or something, then that won’t work and I need to completely replace the ground wires and run them to the chassis? I realize the importance of making sure I tap or replace the correct wire, but is there any reason why I can’t ground them to the chassis to see if that solves my problem which would confirm a burned common ground wire?
Old 07-20-2003, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Default Re: Can I Ground The O2 Sensors To The Chassis?

Anyone?

I can figure out which is the ground from the wiring harness, but the O2 sensors wires aren't the same color. Does anyone know which wire is the ground? Each terminal is assigned a letter, so it's either A, B, C, or D.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, did you replace the sensors with GM ones or aftermarket ones? I've had very bad luck with any kind of non-GM O2 sensors - setting codes and causing drivability problems. Just my $.02.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

I went with Echlin O2 sensors from NAPA because they have a 42" pigtail and I could eliminate the O2 extensions which are also known to cause problems. I had the same problems with my stock sensors too though. Have you used Echlin?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I Ground The O2 Sensors To The Chassis?