Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something Very weird happened

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Location: Heidelberg Germany (1.4 miles from famous Hockenheim Ring)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something Very weird happened

Well i've been having a ticking problem, and first it seemed like some valve train problem, but then we thought it was most likely exhaust manifold leak. we took it to our trusty german service guy (not GM, there is not GM place in germany! ) and when we started it up first thing he said was "spark plug's loose" then he said it looks like it could be exhaust gasket. so he said he'd order the part and we can drop by next week and get it changed over. so we go home and decide to pass this grandpa going really slow, of course we went WOT and then BAM the ticking is really loud and we have a big loss of power. ok the gasket went all the way... only we open the hood and there's a spark plug hanging... we dont know if the plug is still good, i'll check everything out and reinstall the plug tightly tomarrow and see if the ticking is gone.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure your sparkplug threads are not messed up. Sometimes if a sparkplug is put in incorrectly, the threads will get buggered up and the plug will shoot out like you said. And yes, if that's the case, you'll have to pull the head and get the threads repaired
Old 03-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Heidelberg Germany (1.4 miles from famous Hockenheim Ring)

oh ****... now you're starting to worry me, i got the car a few months ago and the guy said he replaced the spark plugs recently. i went out and removed the sparkplug from the plug boot thing and it does look new but on one side of the threads, there is a little spot where they are not there, i'll put the plug back in tomarrow... wish me good luck... it's drivers side, the one in the far back so you really think the threads are going to have to be repaired?!?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aw, **** dude, well, you can always try to put the plug back properly and pray.....good luck.....maybe you can get lucky and catch some good threads on there!
Old 03-07-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the plug doesn't go back in correctly, you can always try to helicoil the threads. I have done this on soccer mom cars, but never on a performance vehicle. Over here in the US they have spark plug thread kits. You have to tap the hole out bigger and put a thread insert in. It will be pretty tough on the back plug though. Good luck with fixing it.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99345hp
If the plug doesn't go back in correctly, you can always try to helicoil the threads. I have done this on soccer mom cars, but never on a performance vehicle. Over here in the US they have spark plug thread kits. You have to tap the hole out bigger and put a thread insert in. It will be pretty tough on the back plug though. Good luck with fixing it.
good luck putting a helicoil in let alone tapping it w/o removing the head. helicoils = **** anyways.