Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Cutout

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP Cutout

Hey I have a stock 2002 WS6. If I get a magnaflow cat-back and QTP cutout, will that bolt up to my stock headers? Is this a good combination for a stock setup? Any advice or suggestions welcome!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 AM

Well now that I look at it closer.....the cutout goes between the catback and the y-pipe right? Does the QTP cutout bolt up to a stock exhaust system?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have dual cutouts in my Y, but the better place is in the I, where you described. Could be wrong, but I'm almost certain welding is required. So, if that's not for you, take it to an exhaust shop and SHOW them where you want it. Should be very cheap work, like 1 hour. If it's electric and you have an M6 (maybe A4 too), you can run the wires up through where the shifter is. I'd tell them you'll do that.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

i have a QTP cut out straight pipes and flowmaster muffler.. i have a vid in my sig that will show you what it sounds like.. keep in mind this is a crappy set up but i've ben saving for headers and duals which im ordering next week. I have the cut out placed before the muffler and its pointing down.. most will do this but you have to tell the people where you want it.. im not sure how they did the wiring i didnt watch, but most people get there switches put inside there arm rest console. mine is placed kinda near my right knee.. its hard to explain id have to upload pics which i can do for you if you PM me..
Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Yes it will bolt up to the stock exhaust. If I remember correctly, the stock pipe is 2.75" and most people end up getting a 3" cutout which will weld up just fine. I have the same combination as far as catback and cutout. Actually if you end up getting a catback the I-pipe is 3" so it ends up being the same size as the cutout. Here is a picture for reference. Not my car but looks exactly like that
Old 03-11-2008, 05:20 PM

So if i get the Magnaflow cat back and QTP e-cutout, will there be any welding required? Does anyone have a video or sound clip?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

It should be welded of course.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Yes, there is welding. Take another look at the picture I posted earlier and you can see that the cutout has to be welded to the I Pipe. It doesn't take long, the exhaust shop I took mine into charged me $35 to weld it up. As for sound, here is what the cutout will sound like when it is open
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr17AsxgPFM
http://www.ls1sounds.com/headers_cut...k-exhaust.mpeg

More cutout sound clips here
http://www.ls1sounds.com/headers_cutouts.htm

Here is the Magnaflow exhaust when the cutout is closed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFCENzZMsDE

The cutout is going to sound deeper and louder, but I can tell you that it's not overly loud. I haven't closed my cutout since I had it installed, but if I were taking the car on long trips I would probably close it. Also, do a search on how to install the wiring for the e-cutout. It's not hard but you should at least get an idea of how others have done it. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 PM

Alright man, thanks for all your replies, that really helps me out a lot. I'm pretty sure I"m gonna go with the magnaflow, cutout combo.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Has anyone tried using the Dynomax cutout or any other that has the ends stepped? It looks like the ends will slip over the ends of the exhaust pipe. If you were to use some stepped band clamps on both sides that seems like it would hold and keep you from having to weld. It looks like it would allow you to take it appart also a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails QTP Cutout-dyn-88340.jpg   QTP Cutout-clamps.jpg  

Last edited by ssgunny; 03-12-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssgunny
Has anyone tried using the Dynomax cutout or any other that has the ends stepped? It looks like the ends will slip over the ends of the exhaust pipe. If you were to use some stepped band clamps on both sides that seems like it would hold and keep you from having to weld. It looks like it would allow you to take it appart also a lot easier.
I understand what you're saying, but at the same time it would be kind of pointless to remove the cutout. If all you want to do is run the exhaust through the cat-back then you just close the cutout. The cut-out gives you the option of either. As for the clamps, it seems like if they came loose they could rattle a lot and you'd have to get under the car to tighten them. Probably not a big deal, but at the same time it creates another argument for welding rather than clamping.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1_Fonzie
I understand what you're saying, but at the same time it would be kind of pointless to remove the cutout. If all you want to do is run the exhaust through the cat-back then you just close the cutout. The cut-out gives you the option of either. As for the clamps, it seems like if they came loose they could rattle a lot and you'd have to get under the car to tighten them. Probably not a big deal, but at the same time it creates another argument for welding rather than clamping.
I guess my question is the section that the cutout is going on able to support this setup? I don't think there are any hangers around that area. If someone has done it and there was no flexing/sagging over time then I can sawsall the section out and instal myself without welding.

Also I was looking at the ease of getting the exhaust out of the way to be able to work on other things under the car if need be. I have had some experience with these style of clamps on other vehicles and have not had an issue with them loosening. The area was just a little better supported with hangers which would have made it less prone to sagging (I would think).

The SS catback is stainless and flows well/quiet enough for me not to put on an aftermarket catback. I already have a DMH e-cutout waiting for the cutout to be installed.

Last edited by ssgunny; 03-12-2008 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: QTP Cutout