Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weld or clamp Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to the guy with the rusty header collectors.. consider a ball and socket style union right there.. unless you have ground clearance issues then nevermind... they are awfully convenient if you have the room.

IMO, welding your y pipe to your headers is.. well.. im not tryin to be a dick here but.. moronic. might as well weld your doors shut and just climb in and out dukes of hazard style while your at it

i like using clamps when possible, but its important to have the proper hanger setup on your exhaust.. without them, band clamps can be a problem
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (03-27-2020)
Old 04-04-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have my **** welded wherever possible. No clamps anywhere = no leaks

Hope you never..
1. change your mind on exhaust stuff
2. never have problems with anything else that would require you to remove your exhaust
3. decide to de-mod
4. etc
5. etc
6. etc

clamps all the way, do it right, it wont leak
Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

with the alumenum tape do you wrap the whole area with the stuff?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

im a welder so guess what my suggestion is?????? flange it in a couple spots and removal can be done without a saw.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (03-27-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Reviving a necro-thread. When someone states they "clamp everything" (except the tip) does that really mean EVERYTHING? I was under the assumption that the cats had to be welded at least on one side. I've been going crazy trying to find a neighbor or shop near my house that I can get to weld my cats in so i don't have to use a trailer to take my car somewhere far.
So does this mean I can clamp EVERYTHING, even the cats on both ends, and then have the tips welded? And then maybe in the future weld the cats?
If this is the case now, I do have 1 problem. the hi-flow Magnaflow cats I have are the exact same diameter opening as the pipe, 3". So neither one of them slides over the other one to be able to clamp. So if I have to expand or shrink either the cat or the pipe, which one would I do, and would it be expand or shrink? Expand pipe so cat can slide into it? That makes the most sense to me so I'm not constricting anything. Are the rental "pipe expanders" from auto zone worth a crap? Will it actually expand my pipe by about 3/16 or whatever I need to fit over the cat?
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by DuckDude; 03-25-2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 03-25-2020, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Or, can I use butt clamps from Summit or something and not have to worry about expanding or shrinking anything so they slide into each other? They all seem the have pretty decent reviews on the Summit site...
I suppose I can take that route and if I have issues, I can take it to a shop. I just want to get this project DONE because its been a very lengthy process with the motor mounts as well.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Alrighty then.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......
Old 03-27-2020, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had all the joints on my TSP Y pipe only TIG welded. Kind of dumb to have all those clamps if it can be adjusted once for clearance be good.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 804 Likes on 613 Posts

Flanges at the header collectors will be tightest and avoid leaks best or dropping the ypipe if you hit a speed bump. Dynatech headers are nice for that feature plus the shorter drivers side header for easier install. Good band clamps work. I'd at least clamp the ypipe to catback so you can drop your exhaust if you need to upgrade the fuel pump unless you want to trap door the car.

Quick Reply: Weld or clamp Exhaust?