Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**NEW** BBK LT's, and ORY **LOT's of PICS INSIDE**

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the y pipe is 2.5" its gonna be a flop. Yeah, people are concerned about clearance but not to that extreme. Just my opinion.

If the y pipe is 3" and the headers and y pipe combo is that price on their site then they wont be able to keep them on the shelf.

Oh yeah, the tubes must also be 1.75. Looks like they are.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full-Force
If the y pipe is 2.5" its gonna be a flop. Yeah, people are concerned about clearance but not to that extreme. Just my opinion.

If the y pipe is 3" and the headers and y pipe combo is that price on their site then they wont be able to keep them on the shelf.

The primaries are 1 3/4"

The y-pipe is 2 1/2" from each collector into a 3" at the merge

Last edited by Soul TKR; 03-29-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets hope they wake up and make a full 3" version too. The merge is sweet, and the collector hookup is nice too. These Y pipe people need to learn something from mufflex... merge into a 4" collector so we can put in a cutout, then reduce to 3" for regular catbacks. a 4" pipe flows approximately 11% less than two 3" pipes.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by COD02SS
Any fears of those LT connectors leaking?

I REALLY like that intake manifold and would LOVE to run it but it would heat soak like a bitch here in arizona
"Heat soak" is a myth. Cars have been using metal intake manifolds since forever and tons of racers still use them. The "heat soak" is a non-issue. The amount of difference it's going to make won't even be noticeable.

Looks like a decent set of headers with a decent y-pipe. Sad to see they're not stainless but it's nice to see halfway decent coated headers on the market. It's great to see that after all these years, companies are still R&D'ing our cars.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:35 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the flanges on the headers as well as the y merge. They would be better if they were stainless steel and had a 3" ypipe.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I like the flanges on the headers as well as the y merge. They would be better if they were stainless steel and had a 3" ypipe.
The good news to this is...

1. They already have the design made up, so I don't see why they couldn't come out with stainless if the market calls for it... all they need to do as far as I can see is swap the type of metal they are bending in the jigs...

2. You guys are worried about the size of the ORY piping, BUT, check out my dyno hp/tq ratings... apparently it's not an issue, and I have plenty of ground clearance for a lowered car
Old 03-21-2008, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
"Heat soak" is a myth. Cars have been using metal intake manifolds since forever and tons of racers still use them. The "heat soak" is a non-issue. The amount of difference it's going to make won't even be noticeable.
I think they meant every day drivers/cruisers. Pure race cars don't run constantly in the staging lanes but us po-boys do so yeah they do "heat soak" It shows on the chassis dyno.

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
The good news to this is...
I have plenty of ground clearance for a lowered car

Please post a 12oz can pic soon! It's a shame they didn't mock up a marketable 2.5" true dual system for our cars. That would be great......
Old 03-21-2008, 10:35 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by COD02SS

If i ever see you now i know NOT to run you
haha, doesnt mean he can drive it.

interesting rubber band technique that guy is using to keep all the bolts up while installing the intake. I just do it the hard way.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
Please post a 12oz can pic soon! It's a shame they didn't mock up a marketable 2.5" true dual system for our cars. That would be great......
I leave for Southern Cali this afternoon from Phoenix... if I can make it there before BBK closes down for the weekend I'll try and get a pic with a coke can under it otherwise I might not even get to see my own car till after the weekend

I agree a True Dual system for our cars would be a HUGE hit. I'll pass the word along to them and see if there is any interest.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
haha, doesnt mean he can drive it.

interesting rubber band technique that guy is using to keep all the bolts up while installing the intake. I just do it the hard way.
yea we'll see how well i drive it next week haha! I do have a little experience, as I used to work at the local drag strip

as far as the rubber band technique... That's BBK's tech Bryan! I thought it was a VERY clever idea as well and it worked wonders!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had BBK headers on my mustang, they were great for the price. I'm sure they will be decent for the ls1 also.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

To everyone who is worried about the 2.5" y-pipe, people run 2.5" true duals all the time, and the flow is more than enough for moderately modded cars. I don't see the Y-pipe being an issue. It's still 3" at the merge.

Last edited by MikeG; 03-21-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:47 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I run 2.5 from the collector to the tips. there is no loss.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

why does the headers/Y look so small what size are they
Old 03-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
I think they meant every day drivers/cruisers. Pure race cars don't run constantly in the staging lanes but us po-boys do so yeah they do "heat soak" It shows on the chassis dyno.
I would think it would be the other way around. When you are cruising, the intake manifold is being hit by a constant wind of cool, fresh air. If you are cruising, the heat soak is a total non-issue. The only time heat soak could be an issue is waiting for very long periods of time in staging lanes because the heat builds up in the engine bay with no incoming cool air to dissipate it.

For a street car, the metal intakes are just as good as a plastic intake. Plus, they're a lot stronger and can take more nitrous.

For a track car, you'd think heat soak would be an issue if the staging lanes are long, but if you just get a bag of ice, the metal intake will absorb a lot more of the cold than a plastic intake could, making the metal intake an advantage if you get ice (which is sold at pretty much every track).

Either way, I see the "heat soak" issue as being mythical. If you get a good price on one, buy it. If I were given the option of an LS6 intake or a BBK intake for free, I just may pick the BBK. I don't see why not.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
why does the headers/Y look so small what size are they
as said above 1 3/4" primaries into a 2 1/2" collector into a 3" merge on the y-pipe...
Old 03-21-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Does the y pipe bolt up to the stock 2 3/4" catback?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:42 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I know you are okay with the 2.5" ypipe, but I'd be curious to see how you would dyno with a 3" version instead, just curiousity.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:59 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I guess to fix heat soak just run at a non-populated strip.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Full-Force

Why? The vast majority of people use a 3 inch catback system anyways. What's the sense in having a y pipe with two 3 inch pipes that merge into one 3 inch pipe? Two 2.5 inch pipes have more area than one 3 inch pipe anyways.

Quick Reply: **NEW** BBK LT's, and ORY **LOT's of PICS INSIDE**