Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

De-screen and Porting the MAF and housing on an A4 2001 SS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De-screen and Porting the MAF and housing on an A4 2001 SS?

Is this safe to do? I have heard that this creates great gains, and is perfectly safe to do. I am doing this tommorow, and today I read some people saying it effects the transmision. ????????WHAT THE HELL???????? How is this posible when they do not effect each other? I think they are fools, but now I need some good reviews to gain the courage to do it. I am also getting the free high flow bellows with plummer pipe, then painting it.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: De-screen and Porting the MAF and housing on an A4 2001 SS?

From what I've read it effects the A4 transmission for some reason, I think I remember it being something with the cooling lines maybe. I also hear that It's not an especially good idea to do the porting on a '01 and '02 car, causes it to run too lean....might have something to do with the LS6 intake that comes on those cars. Anyway, I don't think de-screening will hurt anything, just the porting....However both did work fine on my '98 M6....If you really want to try it I would reccomend just getting a pair of those aftermarket ported ends for around 60 bucks....that way if it doesn't work out you can just put the stock ones back on....good luck
Old 07-25-2003, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tranny line pressure is partially determined by the reported load from the MAF. Lessening this reported load (which you do when you port it) can lower the line pressure of the tranny causing extra slippage and thus faster wear of the clutches in the tranny.

Descreening the MAF is a fine idea. It doesn't change the reported load much, if any, but does help airflow slightly.

There is no sense in porting the MAF unless you KNOW that you are running rich at wide open throttle. Even in that case, I'd suggest programming (LS1 Edit being the preferred method) or at least a MAFT to correct the mixture.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they are fools...
Think again.
Do NOT port an A4 MAF. Bad, bad news.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Well, I stand corrected. Thank you all for the help, I don't think I'll be doing now. I have already done the bellows with plummer pipe, and it works great. I am going to de-screen it later this week, and was planning to port it while it was open, but not now. Thank you for helping me avoid disaster!