Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor Failure...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor Failure...

Right around 65k, the A/C compressor on my car failed. Wont blow cold no more.

EVERY single shop around here wants $1k+ to fix it, because they cant stand by their work unless they know where the parts came from, and the only parts they can find are GM new...

Anyway, I snagged a used A/C compressor off a '99, and just wanted to make sure it would fit on my '98.

Another question. The general idea I get from the local shops is that when the compressor fails, it fouls the entire system downstream, neccessitating replacement of the evaporator and condensor as well...Is that true?
Old 07-26-2003, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: A/C Compressor Failure...

You should always replace the accumulator and orifice tube when changing the compressor. When you pull the orifice tube out of the high pressure hose, you will see if there is any trash in the system. If the screen on the orifice tube has metal shavings on it, you should blow out the condenser with some solvent and compressed air. Thr orifice tube will keep any contamination out of the evaporator.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:41 PM
wrencher

I deal with this daily & 1k is the norm.
When the orignal compressor failed it sent debris/metal into the condenser & oriffice tube, & possibly the evaporator core.
So you should at least flush the evap. core & condenser.
Then the oriffice tube & the reciever drier should be replaced.
If you dont the new compressor failing by injesting the old compressor's debris , you'll have to at least flush it.
That also why they get up to 1k repair job, to warranty a replacement compressor the above procedures have to be performed.
Most people get pissed if their brand new parts fail & are not warranted.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

At work we retire out trucks at 250k miles, you can imagine that the original compressors rarely last that long. When we replace the compressors we change the orfice and charge the system and ship it. I have yet to see one come back due to compressor failure from shavings in the system. Now im not saying this is what you should do, I am just saying thats what we do at my work and I wouldnt think you would have any problems. On avrage the trucks probaly go through 2-3 compressors in their 4-5 year lives.
Just my .02
Old 07-28-2003, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

I don't know why they'd be telling you to replace every component in the entire system. I would also install an inline filter, along with a new OT, accumulator and a thorough flushing.

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Failure...