Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RAM AIR Does 'RAM'...Proof inside...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
I know the feeling is more air is better but you are forgetting that pressurized air takes the path of least resistance. Since the FTRA or SSRA uses a superior bottom breathing design which normally goes into a sealed airbox, any openings in that air box (including leaving the front seal off to make the hood functional) will mean that air will escape through that hole and negate any pressure increases.

Using your method, you are only benefitting from the cold air and not receiving any benefits from any pressure increases. With that being said, go seal it up and enjoy some more power!
why is this so hard to understand...

seal that bitch up
Old 04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you guys are bored, check out this webpage:http://www.karlsnet.com/mopar/ramair.shtml

It's a pretty ghetto ram air construction, but I like the fact that he scientifically tests every variable....
Old 04-02-2008, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

ive been waitin for you to post this......this will give me somthin to work on while the car is apart.....i had already sealed off the airbox to make the fra more functional...looks like i need to make a trip to lowes or home depot...interesting post...you done alot of homework
Old 04-03-2008, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
ive been waitin for you to post this......this will give me somthin to work on while the car is apart.....i had already sealed off the airbox to make the fra more functional...looks like i need to make a trip to lowes or home depot...interesting post...you done alot of homework
sounds good bud...let me know how it turns out....
Old 04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

will do
Old 04-03-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the change in manifold pressure?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

didn't measure manifold pressure...just measured lid pressure right in front of the manifold...i imagine it was close to the same results...

Last edited by chrs1313; 04-04-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Buddy at work just added it to his Formula and he says the butt dyno proved a lot more acceleration from 50-90, he has a Gtech too and that says the same. The car Im looking at already has it so I wont be able to test it for myself. But its good to see some actual tests.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:25 AM
12 Second Club

looks like ill be putting my stock base lower air box that has the FTRA cuts in it on. I wish the FTRA opening was a little bigger though. Any reason the size it is was chosen, maybe clearance issues. Its been a while since ive looked at it.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JSmee99T/A
looks like ill be putting my stock base lower air box that has the FTRA cuts in it on. I wish the FTRA opening was a little bigger though. Any reason the size it is was chosen, maybe clearance issues. Its been a while since ive looked at it.
clearance and easy of putting it in most likely... i removed my ac condensor infront of the radiator and gained about 2.25inches...so my intake in around 3inches from the bottom till it meets the lid...no tapper
Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

i just ordered the jaam from fast toys so as soon as i get it i will let you know some results! it was a toss up btwn the ftra and the jaam but i went with the jaam becasue of the hood, after the guys at fast toys gaveme some great feedback......
Old 04-04-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chrs1313
didn't measure manifold pressure...just measured lid pressure right in front of the manifold...i imagine it was close to the same results...
I would not assume that. It is not clear to me that in increased airbox pressure necessarily would mean the manifold pressure change is the same or changes at all depending on the stuff in between the lid and the manifold.

But it probably went up some amount.

I also think it is a slight leap to claim that the 2.7kPa extra you measured in the box means that you have 11.5 extra RWHP based on pressure alone and 20RWHP via pressure and temperature changes. Mostly because you don't know if that extra pressure actually makes it into the motor.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 04-04-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

Default Ftra

The FTRA's size is limited by the space left in front of the AC condenser. It was made as big as possible to fit

The FTRA has routinely been worth 1.0 - 1.5 MPH in the quarter mile on relatively stock cars. That easily should be 10-15 RWHP in a 3400-3600 lb car. We've seen high results on more modified vehicles.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I would not assume that. It is not clear to me that in increased airbox pressure necessarily would mean the manifold pressure change is the same or changes at all depending on the stuff in between the lid and the manifold.

But it probably went up some amount.

I also think it is a slight leap to claim that the 2.7kPa extra you measured in the box means that you have 11.5 extra RWHP based on pressure alone and 20RWHP via pressure and temperature changes. Mostly because you don't know if that extra pressure actually makes it into the motor.
let me know if you wanna make a wager on that cause i will put my car in stock condition at the track then open up the ram air and see around 2mph increase...i mean a ftra adds around 1-1.5mph and mine is 2.5 times as big...also there is an increase in the manifold why wouldnt there be it was held constant...think about what you are saying...if i measured -5in pressure in stock trim under wot in the lid just think of the vaccuum in side the manifold...so two can argue opposite sides of the spectrum...what is the differences in a boosted application from manifold to lid...that that percentage and apply it to my case...
Old 04-04-2008, 05:18 PM
FormerVendor

We find a lot of people doubt that a FTRA style set up will work even though countless #'s of people have installed it and seen the benefits. We even include a block off plate with the FTRA that easily allows you to test the benefits at the track.

It's easy to bench race and guess which mods will work and why but the real results are at the track. There are thousands of happy FTRA customers out there
Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
We find a lot of people doubt that a FTRA style set up will work even though countless #'s of people have installed it and seen the benefits. We even include a block off plate with the FTRA that easily allows you to test the benefits at the track.

It's easy to bench race and guess which mods will work and why but the real results are at the track. There are thousands of happy FTRA customers out there
That's alright. Some people still believe that the Earth is flat, too
Old 04-04-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ssgunny
I guess I can try that during my upcoming rental and will do it all three ways

Hood and FTRA
Hood
FTRA

I am a newb so I will use the first 5 or so runs getting use to staging and launching. I will then due a few runs with each configuration. They say you can get about 15 to 20 runs so I should have plenty of time. Now I just need to go find the block off plate for the FTRA.
i cant wait. my ssra kit came with the rubber tubing to block off the air from my ss hood. i put it on based on peoples recommendations. itl be nice to have some concrete numbers though.

Quick Reply: RAM AIR Does 'RAM'...Proof inside...