Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LPP stainless Headers and Y

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm waiting for some install pictures and feedback on how peoples installs went. I worked really hard at trying to fix every issue and problem with the old design. And I'm anxious to see if it all paid off. I'm sure there may still be minor issues seeing how every F-body is different but I don't think there will be any more major issues. At least I hope not.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 903 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by black2002ws6
Well I'm waiting for some install pictures and feedback on how peoples installs went. I worked really hard at trying to fix every issue and problem with the old design. And I'm anxious to see if it all paid off. I'm sure there may still be minor issues seeing how every F-body is different but I don't think there will be any more major issues. At least I hope not.
I bought my set from your over a year ago and haven't put them on yet.

Was there any fix to driver side header that angled up to much? Could I send it back and get one that wasn't angled? I am just asking I may not have any problem at all.

I have thought about selling the earlier version I bought and get a set of these. These look really nice.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Teching In

I installed mine last night, the fitment is great, install went real smooth. The headers and y-pipe are top quality. I forgot to take pics though.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just installed mine. everything was great except for the second and third cylinder back on the driver side. i have some major primary to spark plug wire contact...i cant figure it out. any tips?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^^ if you have msd wires bend them, if not use some zip ties
Old 09-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Banned

Yes on the MSD wires. The stock wires will have issues with any headers. If you get the MSD wires you can bend the boots at any angle you want to miss the primaries.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

am i wrong for thinking i've heard a bunch of terrible things about msd's? i thought the stockers would surely work. damn. so close
Old 09-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Banned

I've had MSD wires on my car since my first set of headers and still using them. And if you talk to anyone that has put headers on any car in the last 50 years they will tell you that stock wires don't work. It's just a fact with headers.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alrighty....wheres the best place to pick up the MSD's? looking for black. link? thanks for your help. i drove an hour today to go get these headers because fedex forgot to put my box on their truck.....i wanted them pretty bad huh? thats why im so bummed. everythings done but those damn wires!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 903 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by mattl31
alrighty....wheres the best place to pick up the MSD's? looking for black. link? thanks for your help. i drove an hour today to go get these headers because fedex forgot to put my box on their truck.....i wanted them pretty bad huh? thats why im so bummed. everythings done but those damn wires!
There was a sponsor selling MSD's with a free set of NGK's for a damn good price, I think it might have been blancoss?
Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

am i wrong for thinking i've heard a bunch of terrible things about msd's? i thought the stockers would surely work. damn. so close

The problem is the MSD coil packs. The MSD wires are fine.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

new issue, not LPP's fault. im hooking this up to a borla cat back and the intermediate pipe as well as the y pipe are both reduced to the same diameter. tips?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Launching!

new issue, not LPP's fault. im hooking this up to a borla cat back and the intermediate pipe as well as the y pipe are both reduced to the same diameter. tips?
x2 having the same problem. Everything is done except the y-pipe. Any ideas?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn that sucks.

You could try to have the y-pipe expanded to go over the catback.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

hmm wonder if i will have the same issue with my SLP. If so a Exhaust shop could open one up probably for free as it would take all of a min. to do

You would probably want to open up the intermediate pipe to go over the Y pipe. Might help you a bit more so there would be no exhaust leaks
Old 09-05-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Yeah get a 6" long or so piece of 3" pipe, I have seen some pieces at autozone even, and put it over both ends, the pipe is reduced to fit in a 3" pipe so you need a short section of 3" pipe to make a coupler.

Also you may want to check whatever y pipe came off your car and hack a piece out of it to see if that will work.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

alright well heres what i did. took to borla intermediate pipe to my local exhaust guy to have it expanded. he said that typically those notches cut out on pipes are for them to expand and contract as you tighten them down (with band clamps, not saddle clamps). he was reluctant to expand it because he said usually pipes like to split up the sides where those notches are. i told him i didnt have much to lose, so he used a conical expander and got it opened up without splitting it. he told me if it was going to split, it would have at that point, and then took a 3" O.D. die and pressed it in the end to further expand it and make it perfectly round. took it home and it fit just fine! only problem now is i have a very slight exhaust leak from that joint. I had some really expensive 3" stainless band clamps that were too big, so I went to the local NAPA and they only had 2.5" (too small). SOOOO if you guys do this method, make sure you can get a hold of a 2 3/4" stainless band clamp to get the bitch sealed up tight! anyway, now its done aside from that 1 clamp.

-side note-

i have a buddy who is a kooks purist and he came over to tear these headers and y apart. he bent down to look at the merge collectors and y-pipe and after about 10 seconds of silence he stands up and says...."holy ****, those are f*ckin sexy".

we'll see if he ever gives me a hard time for savin a dime and going with a company that doesnt have a huge name

THANKS LPP for a superior product at an extremely affordable price.

if anyone has install questions, needs tips, pics, whatever...let me know.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Dang, i have a borla also...now i'm not so excited to get started on this.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Got a 2 3/4" "butt joint"(flat) band clamp and had to trim off about half and inch of the intermediate pipe . Got the bung plugs in and tightened the remaining clamps, and everythings done now.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Got my headers in over the weekend, and they fit in like a glove. No notching or cutting of any kind.
One issue I did have however: I think on the next batch of headers, the flange should have the same hole size pattern as stock. Currently the holes are all the same size-7/16". On my stock manifolds, two holes were smaller in order to center-align the manifolds to the heads. For the headers, I had to use two studs with a steel dowel around them to align the headers to the heads.

Other than that, these things are fantastic!!