Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust rub.. Need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008 | 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Default Exhaust rub.. Need ideas

Ok so irecently got my jet hot lts/y/ and slp lm2 catback on.... had a rubbing above the rear and near the bumper that i fixed... when im driving and hit bumps i hear it hitting underneath the front seats... or when im idling in gear...(its an a4). when its in neutral or park it doesnt seem to hit...

i believe its hitting the bracket right under there that the driveshaft and exhaust go above....

i recall seeing somehwere maybe stiffer motor mounts would help it? i really dont know i tried bening that bracket a bit and it has clearance until my motor goes in gear. i pulled my ebrake and with the stress on the motor the exhaust tweaks and is nearly rubbing the bracket.... any ideas?
Old 04-14-2008 | 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Usually you install new mounts with LT's.
Old 04-14-2008 | 02:21 PM
9 Second Club

no its not hitting there i dont think, i had the SAME problem, god it annoyed the effin **** outof me. I took that bracket off, still rubbed. It rubs on the upper panhard bar, It was a bitch to fix. But go look at it again, and ajust the pipes accordingly you probabloy have to spin that slightley bent peice right infront of the resonator, and maybe raise the peice that goes over the axle a bit. OR you could buy a new upper panhard desighn specificly desighned to clear big exausts. (like 225 bux)
Old 04-14-2008 | 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
x2

Having stock motor mounts, then adding LT guys have alot of issues with the Ypipe hitting the floor when the motor torques. Also like dragkid said, there isnt alot of room for aftermarket exhaust over the axle. But try pipe adjusting first.....that doesnt cost any money. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2008 | 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

yeah i been crawling around every morning.... idling it hits a bit... they did away with the hnager right in between the y's.... on the rear i did... i moved the notched whole up on the righht side hanger... and heated the pipe to bend the right pipe down....

but when i start it in the morning.. the pipe has room above the bracket... as soon as popwer gets put on the motor its literally almost touching it... maybe that will fix my slight rub problem idling... now all i gotta do is fix the bumping when i hit bumps...

wheres a good place to get motor mounts?
Old 04-15-2008 | 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

You can try these:
http://www.spohn.net/?action=product&pid=1049
Old 04-15-2008 | 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

dont waste your money.... here.... you can use this virtually anywhere the exhaust rubs

that should work.... cell phone pics

remember the clamp doesnt have to be that tight if you wedge the rubber in there.... its just to keep the rubber hanger from falling out on the road

enjoy your quiet car.... mine did vibrate very slight like i told you before.... but i just got out of the car and noticed it doesnt vibrate at all anymore.... maybe the rubber hanger softened up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28SS
i kinda understand what your saying. if you can please get me a picture. i really need to fix this. the car is my DD and it hits bad. im going out in the garage now to try and re adjust the y pipe, but i know that will do very little if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskeet6
yea all i would need is a picture to show you and you would know exactly how to do it..... ill see if i can get one by the end of the day

the clamp is just a 3-1/2'' clamp.... same exact ones you use to connect the lid to the MAF, MAF to Bellow, Bellow to intake...... silver things you tighten with a flathead screwdriver.....

just cut the slice about the wide... maybe a little wider to aid in pushing the clamp through the slice your making

Quote:
whats the clamp look like and how do i cut it?

you should make a write up on this if it works. u would help so many of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskeet6
Quote:
hey man i just read your post about how to fix the y pipe bang. theres no way u can get a picture of it? im having so much trouble with my y pipe its driving me crazy. since you have something between the floor and y does it vibarate the consoul and make alot of noise?

i get a slight vibration of the consol only if i floor the car in a high gear at a low rpm..... say around 750-1500rpms..... its barely noticeably

i took a chisel as wide as the clamp... a sharp one and pushed it through the side of the rubber hanger perpendicular to the holes the hanger has on it..... this way the flat part is against the floorboard..... then you push the clamp through the slice you made(this takes a little bit... just work it through) then give your friend a crowbar and have him pry that side of the exhaust down ON THE COLLECTOR... just enough so you can wedge the hanger in with the clamp already slipped through it...... find a good spot to clamp it down and you are good to go!

i also used this setup for my rear exhaust where the OVER-AXLE pipe was banging the body.... worked perfect

good luck and you will be happy with the results
Old 04-15-2008 | 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

The rubber will work but is a bandaid. Ultimately, the exhaust system keeps torquing until something gives, causing a leak.

The right fix is:
poly motor mounts
new tranny mount - take your pic, I HATE poly for this one
Shocks!
Old 04-15-2008 | 09:32 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Sometimes they dont help.