Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody used the Flowmaster cat back

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody used the Flowmaster cat back

I ordered the Flowmaster cat back 17199 and was wondering if it helped much on the HP.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Has anybody used the Flowmaster cat back

The Flowmaster mufflers work pretty well on nearly stock vehicles, but we have found that the muffler designs actually hurt performance on the higher modified LS1s. My first mod on my '98 Formula was a Flowmaster muffler to replace the stock one and I picked up a whopping 0 rwhp on the Dynojet. It sounded better though!

Tony
Old 07-31-2003, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Well at least it will sound fast till I get my heads, cam, ect. It was the lower cost system so its not like I had a real major cost trying it without checking up. Now I know to ask before spending.
Thanks
Old 07-31-2003, 03:06 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think you'll be unhappy with it at all, give it a try
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 08-04-2003, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

It is good driving, but sounds like crap in revs. I absolutly hate the system, it is soooooo quiet, I can hear the tires of my car over the exhaust. I hate that, a performance car needs to sound like a performance car.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have the Flowmaster Cat-back exhaust, and I absolutely love it!!! For a while when I had it, it was annoyingly loud in my car, but then I found out it was touching under the car and it had a leak, probably from me installing it. Once those 2 problems were fixed, it sounds suprisingly quite inside the car, but really growls outside when you put your foot in it. Installation was easy, and instructions were easy to follow. Installation probably only took me 2 hours total.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is good driving, but sounds like crap in revs. I absolutly hate the system, it is soooooo quiet, I can hear the tires of my car over the exhaust. I hate that, a performance car needs to sound like a performance car.
....Add a cut-out!!! ....More HP...and noise!!!Mine sounds good....then again I rerouted the inlet and outlets of the muffler...sort of like borla!!!........and no!! I did not do the little H-pipe mod....I did it different!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

I am currently using a Flowmaster exhaust on my car. The only reason I am using it instead of a better or louder exhaust is I drive sixty miles every day a about 70-80 mph and didn't want a very loud resonance in my car. Espcially when the wife and kiddos are with me. The system comes off if when I build my own or when I get rid of it Im sure. Trying to buy a Trailblazer or a Denali, then I can upgrade the rest of the car.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on what Flowmaster system you are using. Flowmaster has many different series of mufflers. As for the crossflow design, I think they are only an 80 series. Also, are you running headers? cats? thay are all factors in sound.
I have a 98 Camaro SS with the Flowmaster 30 series single outlet muffler for 97 F-body cars. I also have Mac headers and a custom ORP. It sounds fairly tame at idle but nice and roudy when you get into it.