Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throttle Body problem

Since I put my new motor in I have had an issue with my TB.
its reading that its 1% open at idle. and I get a code that says (TPS out of range/ performace) so I put a new TPS on from GM. same thing. checked all connections there good, cleaned them too.
because it stays at 1% open it wont go into "idle mode" and idles like crap
but heres the kicker, after a hard run it will read 0% and idle great. but then it might read 1% and through the code while sitting at a traffic light.

is it my TB? I am getting the 92/92 setup but I need tires and axles 1st. so I would like to fix this now and it not be an issue.
any ideas would be great

Thanks
Mike
Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried adjusting the idle air screw (should be under the forward stop on the throttle cam). your blade my not be closed all the way.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes I have tried that.
see when the car is not running the throttle postion reads 0% but its when I start the car it reads 1%
and I dont want to have the voltage reading to low if I ajust it more
Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone else???
Old 04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try reaming out the holes so they are oblong in the TPS so you can rotate it clockwise just a screw width....this should do the trick.

Oh, you will need to grind off the position tab to be able to do this.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have someone hold down the gas pedal while looking under you are under the hood . witht the pedal pressed all the way to the floor see if you can push down where the throttle cable pulls to see if it is the cable .
you can do this your self if you open the box where the cables go by twisting it all the way then with the other hand press down where the tb cable goes and see if it is open all the way . if there is slack in it you can adjust it by following the cable to about the middle between the box and the cable . there is a tab that is threaded you can pop off and adjust the tension .
Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not sure if you have the same problem I had but mine was reading 2% at idle. My car wouldnt idle for crap. I would reset the tps (unplug tps, turn switch on for a min, turn switch off, plug tps back up) and it would go back to 0 but as soon as I hit the throttle it would not return to 0%, it would stay at 2%. I never figured it out.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

I just went thru this issue today. I have an aftermarket throttle body 90mm. The throttle body return spring was not pulling it closed all the way for the first issue. The second issue was the stronger spring was making my cruise/tcu unit to slip not allowing the blade to open all the way. I need to get rid of the cruise/tc cable and go with a straight cable peddle to TB.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man I have done all kinds of things to get this to work, I rotated the TPS and that seemed to work for a day, then I fired it up in the morning and it still is doing it. still throughing a code saying TPS out of range/ perfromance A circuit.
so I was thinking I would check all the grounds on the motor to make sure I tighten them enough. because saying "a circuit" sounds like its not completing the circuit so I would think that would be a ground.
I am thinking that I may have just handtighten it and it has come loose from the shaking of the motor. because it will say 0% when the key is ON but as soon as I crank it over it jumps to 1% some times it doesnt and sometime it does.
well see tomorrow after work. Ill post if I find anything.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

I had to adjust the extra spring i have on the front of the TB and then readjust the idle screw again. I had it backed to far off. I hope you find the problem. Its very trickey to adjust just right. I was surging on the starting line last week because of this.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well got the TPS to stay at 0%, but still throughing the code P0121
so I googled it and its says:

Description: code detects if the TPS is stuck.

Malfunction Criteria and threshold values: Actual throttle postion does not match RPM vs. predicted throttle postion look up tables.

so I dont know.........
Im stuck.......
Old 05-05-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well I got a different TB on there and that fixed the 1% open problem
searched for code P0121 and found its a MAP kPa is getting maxed out
so my tuner reset it and good to go.
no more code and car runs great
Old 05-05-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

Glad to here your car is running good now. I still have a bit of a surge on idle. I have to look at the TPS levels again. Mine was bouncing from 0 to 1 also.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well I dont know what the hell could have happened, it sat in a box connected to the intake manifold for 5 months while I was building the engine.
maybe it was doing it before I dont know, but its fixed now and time for a cage, and rear sway bar!