Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Flowmaster Merge Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
I wouldn't expect 20....
We'll see this week, goin to Mike Norris, and he's pretty good
Old 05-17-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

i've been calling around to exhaust shops to get a y made up using this merge-how much did it cost you? i would think it would be pretty cheap being that you are giving them a merge to start with and they dont have to fabricate that?
Old 05-17-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

is the exhaust completely welded up? why no flanged connections or clamps?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

So just swapping to that collector reduced your rasp alot huh?
Old 05-17-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

On thr original install, the TSP ORY sucked, it would not slip fit over the Pacesetters so I had everything welded to reduce any leaks.
Once I got the Maganflow, cut off the old cat-back-flowmaster at the Y and clamped from there back. Now with the merge and cut-out, everything is welded from the header back, right up to after the cut out. Too many posts about exhaust leaks, and I do not plan on ever switching back to stock or selling the car.

Total for pipe and labor was $150. IMO, worth every penny knowing that it is done right and no leaks or bad merges. They are slip fit too on the inlets.
Get a good recommendation from someone who has some work done on their LSX. The first guy I went to sucked ***, I just wanna throw this old Y the messed up right thru their front window, like the old lady on the Discount Tire commercial.

Yeah, no more rasp, in 4th at 2k rpm and punch it, it was bad, now, it just doesn't exist at all. It also changed the tone of the Magnaflow, has a much deeper, healthier tone and now at WOT it really screams. Still not liking the cut-out open, but its mostly there for the track.

If I did more research before I started all of this, I would've gone this route from the get-go. And now looking back and searching posts, there isn't alot of feedback or threads about this mod. Looking at a merge on a stock Y, they did it right from the factory. Kinda makes you wonder why other companies are not taking the time and making their aftermarket Y's the same.

I didn't do any before sound clips, but I'll try to get some up here later, along with the dyno ####'s. Look out for those Thursday afternoon.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

the ends of my headers have a ball end. my y pipe had the flared end. with a floating 3 bolt flange on each side i can remove the entire exhaust with 6 bolts. i used the 3 inch Y with the ends to mate up to the headers when making my duals. (the y was damaged anyway) after removing the system at least a half dozen times i have never had a leak. just food for thought.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks good a million times better than what the other shop had originally done for you. I used the same merge on mine but its the dual 3" inlets to a 4" I pipe thru a 4" cutout. I think these merges are a pretty cost effective option for getting a great performing Y.

Last edited by DopeFedZ; 05-17-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

150 is not bad at all, i would happily pay that to have it done. i bought a p.o.s. used dual exhaust and i have no ground clearance and it leaks, i did the same thing as you and didnt research at all. i just want to get my magnaflow back on there, and get a nice y set up. hopefully i'll find a shop that im comfortable with.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

TTT for new dyno ###'s
Old 06-13-2008, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

I can't believe that's all the power you picked up. That first set up was absolute crap!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude you have the headers Welded to the y pipe??

No offense ,but yuck...band clamps dumdumdum..yah yours won't leak,but you gotta cut and re-weld everytime?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

i have a mac y pipe but the merge on it looks pretty good...I bought a flowmaster merge the same time i ordered the y and didnt realize the merge was decent on the y...should I still use the merge? Has anyone used it on a mac y? Does this really cut down rasp (cause I have **** loads of it)?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Launching!

i just had this exact setup done to mine.... had the guy make me a custom Y and used the flowmaster merge..... it cleaned up the sound really good and eliminated all the rasp i had... i had cats welded in too so that helped alot but the sound it so much better and it really made a big difference.... for the new Y and labor i was charged $120.. well worth it
QUESTION for u guys tho, the guy at the shop welded my cats in the Y pipe close to where the merge is (pretty much directly under the drivers seat and passenger seat) and now when im under heavy throttle i feel and hear a knocking sound right under my seat.... do u think this is just the pipe hitting underneath or do u think its poor flow through the cat and is kinda stopping up??? they are brand new metallic core cats.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Veteran

nice setup!
Old 06-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Brandon 01 ta: Motor Mounts.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MikeG
I can't believe that's all the power you picked up. That first set up was absolute crap!
Tell me about it, but man the weather was sucking, it was really hot in there, so I know that made a big diffrence compared to my original ###'s.
I beat my buddy though on HP ###'s, he's got a similar set-up on a 2002 T/A only diffrence is he has a FAST intake and 241 heads. He was pissed.

Band clamps! Great idea! Well the TSP Y sucked and didn't fit over the Pacesetter headers. I was still a noob when I got them installed, the 1st exhaust shop was white trash and had them weld since the didn't slip fit. I know, no going back now, cut and reweld, I'll cross that bridge when it comes. Hopefully not for a long time, like never.

Like Brandon t/a said, no more rasp, its nice to be cruising and go to speed up and not have to hear that **** anymore. Not sure if you're MAC Y will do the same, but with this merge, pretty much all your rasp will be gone.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Coy
Brandon 01 ta: Motor Mounts.

excuse my newbie ignorance but what exactly do u mean by motor mounts??

(sorry titanws6, not trying to hijack ur thread)
Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brandon_01_ta
excuse my newbie ignorance but what exactly do u mean by motor mounts??

(sorry titanws6, not trying to hijack ur thread)

Probably means to get some poly mounts or solids. Stock motor mounts are crap and allow the engine to move all over the place which means the entire exhaust system move like crazy as well.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am wanting to go this route with my exhaust also, but am thinking of doing a 3.5" set -up similar to the mufflex. We need some sound clips!!
Old 06-14-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motown2
i have a mac y pipe but the merge on it looks pretty good...I bought a flowmaster merge the same time i ordered the y and didnt realize the merge was decent on the y...should I still use the merge? Has anyone used it on a mac y? Does this really cut down rasp (cause I have **** loads of it)?
make your own thread and post pics. but usually the mac merges are not really good.

Quick Reply: New Flowmaster Merge Pics