Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after header install

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problems after header install

So... I installed my LT's and the car has ran like **** since. I am running them open right now, and waiting for my TD's to come in. It kinda bogs, and it backfires like a fully automatic machine gun if I try and get on it at all. If I just take it easy the car runs OK. Took it to autozone to get the codes read and it was only throwing codes for the EGR and rear O2's, which have all been deleted. I switched out the front O2's, just to make sure those were ok, and I am still having the problem.

Is this normal, and do you guys think it will go away with some piping behind the headers?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the first thing i though of was ur front o2's but u said u replaced thm, so tht cant b it.....i ran open headers a few yrs ago, and had a similar problem..the car is probably just running rough bc of the header install, could have screwed up air fuel ratio with running open headers, u might b running rich to possibly thts wht i thought my problem was whn i was running it like tht, however i am not sure so dont hold it against me lol......it should run alot better whn u get the rest of the pipeing on there however
Old 05-21-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

check your connects . does it skipe any during acceleration ? if so you might have a light misfire . pull the plugs to check for any hairline cracks . this has happened to me on header swaps . i have run open header though with no problems .
Old 05-21-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

well first you need to get them tuned. second they are open headers so the o2 sensor is to close to out side air which will make them run rich if they were tuned or not.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there may be a light miss... or maybe its just because its running really rich... I guess I will just wait and put the piping on. If that doesnt work I will start pulling plugs.

And I dont want to get a tune until the cam install which should be happening in the next month or so depending on how much overtime I can rake in.

Thanks guys, thats about what I expected you guys would say. I was just making sure there isnt anything else I overlooked.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Juicy J
there may be a light miss... or maybe its just because its running really rich... I guess I will just wait and put the piping on. If that doesnt work I will start pulling plugs.

And I dont want to get a tune until the cam install which should be happening in the next month or so depending on how much overtime I can rake in.

Thanks guys, thats about what I expected you guys would say. I was just making sure there isnt anything else I overlooked.
if you keep running rich you will foul out spark plugs might as well buy new ones now.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Dude check your plugs. If you havent bought new ones might as well. Make sure they are gapped right and all. I did this about 10 times on my car trying to figure out what was wrong.

What are your current ones gapped at?
Your car should run fine on open headers.

Get new wires while your at it.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It could still be your front o2s. You can easily burn them up running open headers with no length of pipe off the collector. I learned this a few months ago with my new o2s. I would get some sort of pipe on there until you get your True Duals, and get those rear o2s and EGR tuned out.