Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Broke Man's" TB porting - ANNOUNCEMENT, EVERYONE PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a question, if you port the throttle body out to increase the overall diameter wouldn't the round piece in the middle (I think it's called a blade but not too sure) be too small to block air at idle? I'm just thinking that if you hog this thing out all the way through there would be extra air getting in unless you replace that round piece?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
I've got a question, if you port the throttle body out to increase the overall diameter wouldn't the round piece in the middle (I think it's called a blade but not too sure) be too small to block air at idle? I'm just thinking that if you hog this thing out all the way through there would be extra air getting in unless you replace that round piece?

They don't port around that area
Old 10-15-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

If they don't port there, wouldn't that be more or less a bottle neck assuming the increased TB size increases power. I know smoothing out the TB helps too but I was thinking the increase diameter is the main cause of the gains. If you port the TB out to say 78mm and at it's smallest point (I assume around the throttle blade) it's still the stock size, what's the point of opening up the rest of the TB to 78mm? As I said earlier in the thread it seems like a good product with proven results but I'd like to know exactly how that part works before I buy.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Look at it this way, You have two Identical rain gutters..One is smooth clean and new. One has rocks, sediment and crap that causes the water flow to run around it and change course.. Which one do you think flows faster/smoother and with a more consistent average flow pattern? Same thing in your TB. Smoother, more uniform surface equals less "eddy's" in the air flow... Least that's how it was explained to me. Which is appearantly just as important as the size/opening. I for one, as soon as I get another means of getting to work for a week, will be sending mine in to Damian..
Every single person that has done this has posted Good Feedback and experience with his work... I spend this much for a tank of gas.. Good work man.
If my analogy is off, lemme know
Old 10-15-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

That analogy helps a lot, but that part I get. It's this I'm wondering about:

Originally Posted by Damian
The porting, in fact, does change the inside diameter of the TB by opening it up to a full 75mm throughout.
If it's 75mm throughout how can the stock size blades block air around the edges? I know that they do cause no one seems to have a problem with it, but still I'm curious how this doesn't cause stalling and surging idle issues.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you look inside your TB, there is a huge lip just before the blade. It shrinks the I.D. before the blade down to almost 70mm. Porting removes that lip completely allowing air to smoothly flow into the TB opening as opposed to going over this lip first.

Porting also removes & blends all the bumps, stops, and angles that air may have to pass through before going into the motor. It's not necessarily all about how much material you take out, but where.

but still I'm curious how this doesn't cause stalling and surging idle issues.
Because you don't port past the blade.

Porting LS1 TB's has been a proven mod for 10+ years. There no need to break it down into a science. It works, period.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Teching In

I guess I acted to late, What is the reason for not doing DBW throttle bodies anymore?
Old 10-16-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, I get it now. I guess I haven't really looked at an LS1 TB close enough to see the lip, but it makes sense that removing the lip is what really helps increases the TB diameter. Thanks for breaking it down Barney style Damian!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Damian, are you still doing the porting? I sent you a PM a couple of days ago.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:09 AM
LSX Mechanic

Please read this announcement before inquiring about any further porting through
Spartan Performance!!

To all my past, present, and future customers. At this point I regret to inform everyone I'm going to stop the TB porting program at this time. There is no huge reason or conspiracy theory behind it, other than I'm simply tired of doing it. After 150+ TB's, I'm spent on doing these things. Porting them day in and day out has gotten so monotonous that I don't enjoy doing them anymore, and I do not want my quality to slack because I dread doing it.

HOWEVER, there is some good news to this equation. Fellow sponsor, moderator, and good friend of mine Silverghost AKA "The Powder Pro" still offers a great porting service that's only $10 more than mine, and he's a one stop shop for porting/powder coating as well. I've known him for years, and would recommend anybody to him. For anyone in the near future wanting a quality porting job done at a "broke mans" price, contact Sean @ www.thepowderpro.com and he'll take care of you. You can also PM him directly on the site through his user name.

**To all my current customers that have already sent out TB's, have no fear. I'll get your TB ported and shipped out immediately. You will NOT be left behind. To all my past customers, I appreciate all you guys very much. It's been a pleasure. However at this time, I will only be porting TB's for my local customers whom I'm building engines for. Thanks again everyone. Take care!!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys, looks like Josh is passing the baton, he informed me about it so thought I'd post in here..

Not sure if Josh was was still doing same day turnaround, I can do my 100% best to continue that for you guys, but sometimes I won't be able to do that given the powder coating work load I have. I will always provide up front and honest turn around times, and it will be one day every time I can.

I do also have throttle body cores that I own( 7 of them currently), mixed between the two styles(98-99, and 2k+) available for exchange as well. Refundable core charge is $65, however I waive that if you pay with a credit card that I can hold on file until you return your stocker.

Ported, half shaft, bump stop mod, etc is $65. If you want it powder coated in color(s) of your choice with a polished return spring(and polished IAC motor if you send yours in) add another $65, so $130 total. Show polished exterior is also avaiable for $175 total(port work plus polished exterior)

PM's are fine, you can also email me through my contact form on my site if you want to talk via email. www.thepowderpro.com

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure:

Old 10-17-2008, 12:42 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet!

Sean is a good guy with a quality work ethic, good luck guys!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks for doing all those TBs damian
Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 PM
LSX Mechanic

Thank you guys! It was a pleasure. I might sneak a few in here and there , but definitely not doing these for the masses anymore. It'll be strictly for my in-shop customers only.

Quick Reply: "Broke Man's" TB porting - ANNOUNCEMENT, EVERYONE PLEASE READ