Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers rusting

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers rusting

I have the QTP's from before Barry used stainless. They have been on the car since Feb., have less than 4000 miles on them and are rusting.

Does anyone think he should do anything for me?

thanx
Old 08-12-2003, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Headers rusting

Steel rusts...
Old 08-12-2003, 06:59 PM
Teching In

He said before they were steel. They used to come coated instead. If the coating has worn off they can rust. Are you sure its not just the coating turning a goldish color? If infact it is rust Im sure QTP will replace them for you. Have you tried contacting them?
Old 08-12-2003, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

"I have the QTP's from before Barry used stainless"
So unless QTP used to make Ti headers they are a form of steel that is not stainless. Steel will rust. That is one of the reasons people have their headers coated.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:18 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI lower grades of stainless will rust! That is why alot of people are still coating SS headers. Not telling you that they are SS just wanted you to know that it will rust. Sorry to add another wrench in your equation. Good luck!!
Old 08-13-2003, 12:40 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True, some types of stainless rust; although I wouldn't call them "lower grades," they're usually stronger alloys because the emphasis was put on strength rather than corrosion protection.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:05 AM
Launching!

Yes I tried calling him. first 2 times the guy (not Barry) said he would have him call me by tomorow. Never did. Yesterday I spoke to Barry and he said he won't do anything for me. I know steel rusts but, this car rarely sees rain, sits in a garage except for weekends. The car was fired up on March 3rd of this year and ended up siting again for some problems. So they've been out of the garage for 5 months.

He said he'd give me the number for the coater, but they aren't responsible for my purchase. QTP sold the headers, so if the coating wore off or whatever the deal is, it should be on them. QTP should call the coater and work something out.

If headers showed rust in a week, people would probably say there should be a refund. So where do you draw the line? Is 5 months resonable to you? If I would've known this I never would've spent $600 for something I'll have to scrap.
For all I know they were laying around somewhere before I ever got them.

Does anybody agree with me?
Old 08-13-2003, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heat + moisture + steel = rust

ALL headers will eventually rust. If you have a genuine rust problem (i.e. not just surface rust), then keep talking to Barry. Send him pictures and discuss them with him. Barry is a stand up guy, but he can't go replacing everyone's headers because they are rusty. It's one of the draw backs of installing headers.
The ONLY way you will completely avoid rusty headers is by having a custom set made if Titanium...anything with any little bit of iron in it will eventually rust...coated or not. But at least if you get them coated, the coating company will usually honor their warranty and recoat/replace them.