Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will instaling all the bolt on's at once be a bad idea?
sure, why not
88.57%
don't do it, mod it one at a time
11.43%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Is full bolt ons all at one time a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is full bolt ons all at one time a bad idea?

Like the title says do you think doing full bolt ons all at once would be a bad idea? I don't' have the cash or enough time over summer to start modding so i was planning to just install all the bolt on's over winter while being stored in my garage. I want to get rid of the air/egr also and don't feel like paying the extra 100-50 dollars for someone to delete the codes. so should i start slowly modding or just wait?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

i did all my mods in my sig over the last winter.I think it was a good idea less down time for yuor car. hope you have a heated garage though. where is se michigan are you.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Launching!

I think its a great idea. Most install one at a time and claim to feel a "seat of the pants" increase in power with each, but if you do them all at once and drive the car again it will feel like a completely different car. Especially if you did longtubes and a fast 90/90 setup and had it tuned. I guarantee you'll feel that.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by formula4437
i did all my mods in my sig over the last winter.I think it was a good idea less down time for yuor car. hope you have a heated garage though. where is se michigan are you.
macomb area here, yeah i have a heater, all i need to do is re wire the electrical because because i accidentally cut it one day
Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fastvert
I think its a great idea. Most install one at a time and claim to feel a "seat of the pants" increase in power with each, but if you do them all at once and drive the car again it will feel like a completely different car. Especially if you did longtubes and a fast 90/90 setup and had it tuned. I guarantee you'll feel that.
im doing lid,p&p tb,ls6 intake, hooker/PS LT and i still need to figure out what x pipe and true duals will fit well with them so I don't have to customize them myself, since I have no experience with that at all. plus a tune.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll give you one thing to consider. If you add a bunch of mods at one time and something is wrong with the car it will be harder to know which part is causing it.

Its not much to worry about though. I would wait on the tune until you get a cam unless you need to clear codes for inspection.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Putting everything on at the same time is fine. That's basically what I did, except for my intake.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JScamaro
I'll give you one thing to consider. If you add a bunch of mods at one time and something is wrong with the car it will be harder to know which part is causing it.

Its not much to worry about though. I would wait on the tune until you get a cam unless you need to clear codes for inspection.
thats what im thinking but i dont think i will run into problems, also my firend is helping with the install and hes done everything already.

i want to do a cam also but dont' know if ill have the extra 600 for it, plus i don't trust myself alone on the install and don't know anyone who has done one.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

haha no, just get a tune after installing all of them
Old 06-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

i would say do it all one at a time but for sure get a tune then and as for cam i dunno what kind ur trying to get but dont forget about all the supporting mods you'll have to do just get that tune for sure u dont want to blow anything up
Old 06-03-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Of course it is fine. There is not an issue with doing bolt ons at one time.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

as stated above its easier to diagnose problems if you have only made 1 change, that being said, dont make any mistakes and it wont matter....
Old 06-03-2008, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Go all out!
Old 06-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

I have to agree with a couple posts above. Diagnosing and fixing a problem will be much easier if you do the mods one at a time. Think of it this way, if your car started missing one day would you run to the parts store and buy every possible part that could be the problem and install them? Most likely not, you would replace one item at a time until you found the culprit. Just commonsense, I think. Good luck with whichever route you chose
Old 06-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted for "don't do it...just one at a time" from the standpoint of diagnosing problems. I've done some of the most benign installs, and they have caused some of the weirdest issues that I would have never thought of if I hadn't taken my time. I've also done a whole host of mods at once, and got lucky a couple of times.

There are always gremlins though...rarely (if ever) do any of my mods go 100% smoothly.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:43 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

It won't hurt anything to do all of the mods at once. If you install a P&P TB and a set of longtubes at the same time and start having a problem, anyone with some experience will know what's wrong regardless of the fact that you did more than one mod. The symptoms and likely SES codes to be thrown are going to be different for different problems that come from different mods. Don't think twice.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-03-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Having been there & done that. Still on list for bolt ons, 11.49..

If I did it all over, I absolutely would do EVERYTHING at once. You dont realize how much $$ you save by doing it this way.

You only have to pay for one tune, you get all the codes deleted and cats, ERG, etc, done along with the codes.

The items that are bolt ons, if installed properly, you wont have many issues with. Just take your time & you'll be ok. JMO
Old 06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

I'm doing all mine at once. Seems to be the way to go. I hate having to tear into one thing more than once. Figure while its all apart do it all. 6grand later bamm. I'm broke still waiting for the car to get put together
Old 06-03-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by formula4437
funny you say that, because down here in georgia i'd kill for an air conditioned garage!

but i'd say do a few at a time that way you'll feel more of a difference and you wont be disappointed because most bolt-ons dont yield huge gain by themselves. i did one at a time though becasuse i got mods as i got money for them.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for all at once. Will feel like a new car!