Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is recalibration needed? is it a must?
Yes
0%
No
100.00%
For Cam Sensor Only
0%
For Crank sensor only
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Could someone clear this up for me. Cam/Crank Sensor Replacing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Could someone clear this up for me. Cam/Crank Sensor Replacing.

Okay, I was asking around and trying to figure out a problem with my car, the code for my cam sensor came up so I thought to replace it. Someone has informed me that when replacing the cam/crank sensor that you must recalibrate it to your pcm, not sure how this is done but seems like he means using a scanner. I do not see why this is and seems more like an option rather than something you need to do. So is it true or false, do you need to recalibrate the Cam/Crank sensor when replaced?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also if this is true, Ive also heard it referred to as the Crank Position Sensor Relearn, how is this done. Does it reset if your battery dies? or anything?
Old 06-05-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did some research on the crank sensor relearn and its not needed unless it throws the code for this specific issue.

If a vehicle’s PCM is changed out, there is a chance the new PCM will contain incorrect information about how the CKP sensor reports its signal to the PCM. If the new PCM’s information is incorrect, and the PCM cannot self-correct it, it will set the P1336 Diagnostic Trouble Code and turn the SES light on. Aside from the annoying SES light, vehicle performance may be affected, and emissions systems may be compromised
Old 06-06-2008, 08:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike96z
Did some research on the crank sensor relearn and its not needed unless it throws the code for this specific issue.
This not entirely accurate. On my car I installed a new torque converter. After the new converter was installed if I went above 70 mph I would get a PO300 random misfire code. The car never ran badly at all but the SES light would flash at me and throw that PO300 code. The problem ended up being I needed a crank sensor relearn. I took the car to my tuner, he did the relearn and I have not had the SES light or PO300 since. If you installed a new one I think you would need a relearn. Every engine is a little different and basically the PCM and the sensor need to be calibrated to exactly how your engine runs so that if something is wrong it can detect the problem and throw the approprate code.

Quick Reply: Could someone clear this up for me. Cam/Crank Sensor Replacing.