Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***My Gathering of QTPs Y Pipe***

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic of the y pipe that CMS made for my SS
Old 06-05-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I would say just have a custom y built for you if you are wanting to get away from the true dual setup. I paid right around $150 for parts which included the 4" to 3" Flowmaster merge, 4" QTP cutout, and 4" to 3" reducer then I paid the shop right around $300 for the fab work which also included them buying the additional stainless steel tubes to fab it all up.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well your car looks damn good the way it sits TORCHD, but lowering wouldn't hurt . I wish you were closer to me so I could just take your setup off your hands...if you did true duals again, would you still pick the Flowmasters? Last question I promise, I just know that you have personal experience with multiple true dual setups
Old 06-05-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I would say just have a custom y built for you if you are wanting to get away from the true dual setup. I paid right around $150 for parts which included the 4" to 3" Flowmaster merge, 4" QTP cutout, and 4" to 3" reducer then I paid the shop right around $300 for the fab work which also included them buying the additional stainless steel tubes to fab it all up.
I could always have a shop modify my QTP ypipe and use the merge/reducer and just "fix" the other pipes. I need to throw this car on the lift and get a better look
Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Been there done that... That is what is on my car now! I am getting rid of my TDs to go back to a GMMG

so FS: 3" H pipe w/ 1 chamber Flowmaster
I sent you a PM about your TD's. I also have a Edelbrock Y pipe that I would be willing to do a partial trade with your TD's. It should be very easy to have that modified to fit your headers.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

dude, have you ever let anyone drive your car with that gmmg on it and listen to it go up the road while they get on it a little?

thats the crappiest sounding exhaust i have ever heard with ory .... rasp like a ****
Old 06-05-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdubbzz
I highly recommend to have the best local exhaust shop custom make your Y. Prob not a bad idea to buy the high flow cats and Flowmaster merge prior.

Case in point, I went to Mufflex's shop and they had to modify their own Y to make it fit without banging etc. I guess every car/headers/fitment is unique.
I am prolly going to do that. I will prolly get have them fab one for me, or buy mandrel bent piping and go from there... I want an O/R Y and i will get the flowmaster merge
Old 06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
Well your car looks damn good the way it sits TORCHD, but lowering wouldn't hurt . I wish you were closer to me so I could just take your setup off your hands...if you did true duals again, would you still pick the Flowmasters? Last question I promise, I just know that you have personal experience with multiple true dual setups

Thanks for the compliments

If i were to do TDs again, which i might knowing how many times i change my exhaust, yes i would do the 1 chambers again in a heart beat....

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 06-05-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Full-Force
dude, have you ever let anyone drive your car with that gmmg on it and listen to it go up the road while they get on it a little?

thats the crappiest sounding exhaust i have ever heard with ory .... rasp like a ****
Yeah man

here is a sound clip

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/C...224_163719.htm
Old 06-05-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
I sent you a PM about your TD's. I also have a Edelbrock Y pipe that I would be willing to do a partial trade with your TD's. It should be very easy to have that modified to fit your headers.

You got a PM
Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

honestly if ground clearance is going to be an issue with u save for another month and buy arh headers. they tuck up much nicer. this is where my qtps hang so there is no getting around the y pipe being low.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Tech Resident

Mark my words, Jonas, you're going to regret this I was right the first time, and I'm confident I'll be right again. I know what's going to happen. You're going to get the GMMG on and be all excited, you're going to force yourself to like it for a few days or a few weeks and you're going to tell us you like it just because you don't want to admit to yourself the mistake you made, and a few months later you're going to hate it and want TD's back and start from scratch all over again.

All this hassle, wasted money and ruined sound to lower a car that already sits on the ground an inch? I'll never understand why anyone would lower an F-body. It just looks ridiculous. You may as well put a lift kit on an airplane. Like it really matters

Want GMMG? Run straight pipe and take a hammer to it. I'll never understand why people pay so much for that exhaust. It sounds okay, but $700 for "okay" is hard to swallow.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Mark my words, Jonas, you're going to regret this I was right the first time, and I'm confident I'll be right again. I know what's going to happen. You're going to get the GMMG on and be all excited, you're going to force yourself to like it for a few days or a few weeks and you're going to tell us you like it just because you don't want to admit to yourself the mistake you made, and a few months later you're going to hate it and want TD's back and start from scratch all over again.

All this hassle, wasted money and ruined sound to lower a car that already sits on the ground an inch? I'll never understand why anyone would lower an F-body. It just looks ridiculous. You may as well put a lift kit on an airplane. Like it really matters

Want GMMG? Run straight pipe and take a hammer to it. I'll never understand why people pay so much for that exhaust. It sounds okay, but $700 for "okay" is hard to swallow.

Anthony... Yes you were right about the 1 chambers, but i have always loved the sound of GMMG... That was my first exhaust on the T/A. I guess i got on the TDs bandwagon when it was HOT!!!!! There will be no trying to convience my self to like GMMG, i love it

It wont be a waste.. when you getting your TDs???? And you got lucky that the previous owner left Corsa on your car
Old 06-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Resident

Anthony... Yes you were right about the 1 chambers, but i have always loved the sound of GMMG... That was my first exhaust on the T/A. I guess i got on the TDs bandwagon when it was HOT!!!!! There will be no trying to convience my self to like GMMG, i love it

It wont be a waste.. when you getting your TDs???? And you got lucky that the previous owner left Corsa on your car
You had GMMG on stock manifolds and cats. It's going to be totally different with an ORY. You may as well just save the money and get a Loudmouth I It's going to be raspy and VERY TINNY. It's amazing how "tinny" LT's make an exhaust sound on these cars. Only since you don't want cats, it's going to sound "tinny with pebbles rattling in it."

I'm bookmarking this post, Jonas. I really hope I never have to say "I told you so." For your sake, I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it

As for my Corsa, I'd sell it in a heartbeat for TD's. These cars sound like **** with a y-pipe setup, and honestly, my car sounds tons better with the cutout wide open and dumped than it does with the cutout closed. I've never heard a nice sounding F-body with a y-pipe setup. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for TD's, nor do I have the time to drive to a shop like Mufflex or somewhere to get them done. I'm currently not even residing in the same state as my car.

I hope you're happy with your decision, buddy. I really mean that. I'm scared to see you go through another 5 exhausts you don't like. Gas is so expensive right now, I hate to see you throw all that money down the drain.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

You had GMMG on stock manifolds and cats. It's going to be totally different with an ORY. You may as well just save the money and get a Loudmouth I It's going to be raspy and VERY TINNY. It's amazing how "tinny" LT's make an exhaust sound on these cars. Only since you don't want cats, it's going to sound "tinny with pebbles rattling in it."

I'm bookmarking this post, Jonas. I really hope I never have to say "I told you so." For your sake, I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it

As for my Corsa, I'd sell it in a heartbeat for TD's. These cars sound like **** with a y-pipe setup, and honestly, my car sounds tons better with the cutout wide open and dumped than it does with the cutout closed. I've never heard a nice sounding F-body with a y-pipe setup. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for TD's, nor do I have the time to drive to a shop like Mufflex or somewhere to get them done. I'm currently not even residing in the same state as my car.

I hope you're happy with your decision, buddy. I really mean that. I'm scared to see you go through another 5 exhausts you don't like. Gas is so expensive right now, I hate to see you throw all that money down the drain.
I know what GMMG sounds like with LTs my buddy had it on his car, then he too switch to H and 1 chambers to have a different sound.. Beleive me Anthony i will like it, i had it once, i only did it to jump on the 1 TDs bandwagon. BTW what Y pipe you running with your QTPs???

Why dont you sell the Corsa once you get back to town wher your car is? You can easily get $700 for it, and that will cover parts and costs for TDs.. What are YOU waiting for
Old 06-06-2008, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's going to be totally different with an ORY. You may as well just save the money and get a Loudmouth I It's going to be raspy and VERY TINNY. It's amazing how "tinny" LT's make an exhaust sound on these cars. Only since you don't want cats, it's going to sound "tinny with pebbles rattling in it."
This is very true. I only notice that sound at start up and idle tho. I want duels for my car but getting the pieces and paying someone to fit all the stuff together isnt cheap.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TA1364
This is very true. I only notice that sound at start up and idle tho. I want duels for my car but getting the pieces and paying someone to fit all the stuff together isnt cheap.
GMMG and Corsa are the best sounding exhasut for an F-body
Old 06-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Resident

BTW what Y pipe you running with your QTPs???
Custom. Only way to go with QTP's IMO. Came out to be cheaper than the QTP y-pipe and it has much better cats (Magnaflow 59959's).

Why dont you sell the Corsa once you get back to town wher your car is? You can easily get $700 for it, and that will cover parts and costs for TDs.. What are YOU waiting for
I won't get $700 for it because I wouldn't be willing to sell the tips. I'd probably get more like $550 or something...although it does have a stainless cutout installed which could potentially increase value a tiny bit...

I would have to take my car all the way to Mufflex in Trenton to get the work done, and God only knows how many hours or days it would take. It would cost a whole lot more than $700, too. Hell, single chambers are nearly $100 now! I'd buy two single chambers and the Flowmaster D-port kit, which would be like $450 - $500 in parts alone. Factor in clamps, labor and time off from work to get it done and I'd probably be out nearly $1,000...

I have to take my car to inspection in NJ tomorrow. I REALLY hope I pass...
Old 06-06-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Custom. Only way to go with QTP's IMO. Came out to be cheaper than the QTP y-pipe and it has much better cats (Magnaflow 59959's).

I won't get $700 for it because I wouldn't be willing to sell the tips. I'd probably get more like $550 or something...although it does have a stainless cutout installed which could potentially increase value a tiny bit...

I would have to take my car all the way to Mufflex in Trenton to get the work done, and God only knows how many hours or days it would take. It would cost a whole lot more than $700, too. Hell, single chambers are nearly $100 now! I'd buy two single chambers and the Flowmaster D-port kit, which would be like $450 - $500 in parts alone. Factor in clamps, labor and time off from work to get it done and I'd probably be out nearly $1,000...

I have to take my car to inspection in NJ tomorrow. I REALLY hope I pass...
I am building a custom Y pipe. so far with the angle pipes, some straight pipes and a Flowmaster merge all SS keep in mind i am at $188 I am not going with cats, dont ask me why jsut dont want them. And QTP uses MagnaFlow cats..

i was on summit lastnight looking for the flowmaster merge and saw that the 1 chambers were at $95.00 /each.. DAMN! i bought them when they were $70.00 /each

So it is getting closer jsut have to figure out how to get a quote on my TDs and ship them out.. Got any ideas?
Old 06-06-2008, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GMMG and Corsa are the best sounding exhasut for an F-body
I know the Gmmg sounds pretty deep which is what I want, but how is it better than duels? Your duel setup sounds pretty good to me.

Quick Reply: ***My Gathering of QTPs Y Pipe***