Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***My Gathering of QTPs Y Pipe***

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation ***My Gathering of QTPs Y Pipe***

After searching QTP Y Pipe, and after reading 20+ pages here is my conclusion:

90% of people say that QTP Y Pipe sucks. Horrible fitment issues, has terrible ground clearance.

5% of people say they swear by QTPs Y Pipe it is great, no problems at all

3% of people said you're better off making a custom Y Pipe for your liking for your cars application

2% of people said either Jet Hot or Mufflex will work

Another thing is QTP has pros and cons. Seems they can not make up their mind. If they fixed their issued they would ahve the #1 selling Y Pipe.

Pros: Nice 4" Flowmaster merge, Uses MagnaFlow Cats, Out flows the competition

Cons: Fits like ****, Horrible ground clearance, Not Stainless Steel, and the fact that it is aluminized it costs $525

Now with that being said, well i have no idea what i am going to do. I am in limbo now. I am selling my TDs for Y pipe and GMMG c/b.. i am jsut stuck on what Y pipe to get. If you custom make a Y Pipe, by the time you get all the SS pieces, the 4" X 3" merge, labor and install you are looking at $500-600. So i think i might either buy the QTP have an exhasut shop modify it or buy a Jet Hot or Mufflex.. Anywhere you look people were bitching left and right saying that (Kooks, QTP, Jet Hot, Pacesetter, Mufflex) all fit like ****. So i guess it is a lose, lose sitution..

Any opinions come on in!

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 06-05-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I have noticed many have issues with it also===I have a EDELBROCK Y and it is fine, and I am lowered......
Old 06-05-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

who needs a Y-pipe just go true duals
Old 06-05-2008, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tainted
Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I am selling my TDs for Y pipe and GMMG c/b.. i am jsut stuck on what Y pipe to get.
Read the thread before posting useless junk like that.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Personally, i'd never buy another pre made y pipe.

I'd get myself a flowmaster merge ($40) and cats if you want them, then have a muffler shop fit it to your car. I don't think being mild steel will make too much of a difference. It would cost less than $150 probably, flow great, and fit perfect.

And for such a large difference in price, i'd say it isnt worth it to go stainless when you can have a mild steel y pipe with the flowmaster merge made very cheap and it will fit your car great.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like my Kooks Y pipe but wanted it in a larger size. I contacted george with Kooks through PM multiple times I even had a local vender that is a Kooks dealers contact them and I can NOT get them to make a Y pipe for me. This is not a one off custom piece. Kooks has a part number for what i want they just wont make it.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

you also forgot to put in the "cons" portion what those damn things cost,,,,
Old 06-05-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

My QTP ypipe fits well but its REAL close to the floor boards. Currently, I am hunting down a "clunk", more than likely due to the exhaust somewhere. Whether it is from the QTP ypipe or the Magnaflow CB, I don't know that yet.

My suggestion to you is buy a true merge from flowmaster or burns stainless. Then have a custom one made out of stainless steel. Yeah, it may cost a bit now BUT it will fit right and last a real long time.

I am going to eventually do that but right now all my money is funding my heads/cam swap.

Let us know how you make out
Andy
Old 06-05-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sorry that I have no opinion to offer regarding your y-pipe search but I wanted to ask why are you doing away with your true duals? I remember your thread from when they were first made and how proud of them you were. I've recently been considering doing almost exactly what you did, custom H-pipe with Flowmaster 1 chambers...you changing setups has me worried.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tainted
Been there done that... That is what is on my car now! I am getting rid of my TDs to go back to a GMMG

so FS: 3" H pipe w/ 1 chamber Flowmaster

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 06-05-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
Personally, i'd never buy another pre made y pipe.

I'd get myself a flowmaster merge ($40) and cats if you want them, then have a muffler shop fit it to your car. I don't think being mild steel will make too much of a difference. It would cost less than $150 probably, flow great, and fit perfect.

And for such a large difference in price, i'd say it isnt worth it to go stainless when you can have a mild steel y pipe with the flowmaster merge made very cheap and it will fit your car great.
That is very true, plus i live in chicago so my car does not see the elements here at all..... I am prolly going to look into that. But the labor is whats going to kill me
Old 06-05-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
you also forgot to put in the "cons" portion what those damn things cost,,,,

You're right i will add that
Old 06-05-2008, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

That is very true, plus i live in chicago so my car does not see the elements here at all..... I am prolly going to look into that. But the labor is whats going to kill me
Thats the key. Hopefully if you find a quality shop they wouldnt need to take long to do it. I mean, how hard is it to weld a few bends up? You might also want to bring the bends with you just to keep cost down additionally. You'd probably just need four 90 bends.

Even if the labor is high, it will be less expensive than the QTP piece most likely. And SURELY fit better.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
I'm sorry that I have no opinion to offer regarding your y-pipe search but I wanted to ask why are you doing away with your true duals? I remember your thread from when they were first made and how proud of them you were. I've recently been considering doing almost exactly what you did, custom H-pipe with Flowmaster 1 chambers...you changing setups has me worried.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my TDs. Infact it sounds great! I jsut sort of miss the sound of the GMMG, i had it once, got rid of it and everyone was prasing TDs, mainly h and 1 chambers so i get them on. Well i jsut got TTMs on my car, i want to lower it but since my TDs are not tucked up so well i have only 3 1/8" of ground clearance.

My car sits kinda high

Old 06-05-2008, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

Thats the key. Hopefully if you find a quality shop they wouldnt need to take long to do it. I mean, how hard is it to weld a few bends up? You might also want to bring the bends with you just to keep cost down additionally. You'd probably just need four 90 bends.

Even if the labor is high, it will be less expensive than the QTP piece most likely. And SURELY fit better.
Looking over some pictures, I just realized that three 45 degree bends and one 90 would be better for most header setups.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is a shop about 10 mins from me that now does mandrel bends... so i could use aluminized steel for this and have them custom make me a Y pipe.... Plus jsut get the Flowmaset 4" merge. BTW where can i get that?

Hey i was looking in your panel by your trader rating, what is the images things you got going?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

There is a shop about 10 mins from me that now does mandrel bends... so i could use aluminized steel for this and have them custom make me a Y pipe.... Plus jsut get the Flowmaset 4" merge. BTW where can i get that?

Hey i was looking in your panel by your trader rating, what is the images things you got going?
The best place to get the Flowmaster merge is Summit from what ive found. Why do you want the 4" merge? They make them from 3" on up. If youre going to use the GMMG why not just get a 3" merge? Or 3.5 even, but this will require a reducer, which takes away for the "cleanness" of the exhaust, imo at least. Then you could run a three bolt flange at the end of the Y also and connect to your catback right there.

The images are part of the newly developing LS1Tech Image Gallery. Everyone has them like that right now while Brains is trying to figure it out, im guessing.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 208 Likes on 93 Posts

I highly recommend to have the best local exhaust shop custom make your Y. Prob not a bad idea to buy the high flow cats and Flowmaster merge prior.

Case in point, I went to Mufflex's shop and they had to modify their own Y to make it fit without banging etc. I guess every car/headers/fitment is unique.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

The best place to get the Flowmaster merge is Summit from what ive found. Why do you want the 4" merge? They make them from 3" on up. If youre going to use the GMMG why not just get a 3" merge? Or 3.5 even, but this will require a reducer, which takes away for the "cleanness" of the exhaust, imo at least. Then you could run a three bolt flange at the end of the Y also and connect to your catback right there.

The images are part of the newly developing LS1Tech Image Gallery. Everyone has them like that right now while Brains is trying to figure it out, im guessing.
I was only thinking 4" - 3" b/c that is what the QTP merge is. It is a 4" Flowmaster merge.. SO then you think a 3.5" merge would be better? And yes i was planning on going with a flange again, in my pic below you will see how my TDs are set up

What is the gallery all about? You already have 2

Old 06-05-2008, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

I was only thinking 4" - 3" b/c that is what the QTP merge is. It is a 4" Flowmaster merge.. SO then you think a 3.5" merge would be better? And yes i was planning on going with a flange again, in my pic below you will see how my TDs are set up

What is the gallery all about? You already have 2
I'd recommend you getting the Flowmaster 3" merge, that way it will be the same size as your catback at the merge. I'd only get the 3.5, or 4 merge if you were going to use that size pipe for your catback.

Also, you could put a flange inbetween the merge and the GMMG too. You might ditch the catback for the track or whatnot that way. Or even swap catbacks if you wanted to.

The gallery is just a bunch of images uploaded by users. I uploaded one just to try it out, but it is closed for maintenance now.

Quick Reply: ***My Gathering of QTPs Y Pipe***