Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas pedal slack????

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas pedal slack????

Hey guys, i've noticed that alot of you list "gas pedal slack removed" as one of your mods, if it's what i think youre talking about, i have the same problem and wanted to know how to fix it? thanks alot
Old 08-15-2003, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Gas pedal slack????

Hey JBIRD! Your car isn't very old so this mod may not apply to you. The cable stretches over time. If you can pick your pedal up off the floor then that's how much slack you have!

On mine I had about an inch and a half of slack, so that gave me alittle more to work with. I went to Home Depot and got a tiny clamp crimp thing and it fixed me up!

Basically the throttle cable that is attached to the pedal has a little cone fishing wait thingy on the end. There is a plastic cradle sitting on the top of the pedal bar and the wait sits in it. So when you press the pedal down it pulls the cable away from the fire wall.

Best thing to do is take the panel under the steering wheel off (be careful with the trunk release) and climb down there. Pick your pedal up. The amount of space you can pick your pedal up is the amount of slack that needs to be removed. Depending on the amount of slack determines what route to take. Alot of guys on here pulled the cable slack and put a piece of sheet metal and raped it around the cable. So the sheet metal sits in the plastic cradle instead of the triangle wait. As I said earlier, I was able to use a clamp thingy because I had more slack to work with.

It's kind of hard to explain, but once you see it you'll understand. When your done all three pedals should be pretty flush. Hope that helps and I hope you can understand my gibberish. Good luck!

Tony
Old 08-15-2003, 04:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My pedal cable had about 3/4" of slack in it,
fresh from the factory (quality is job 2, GM)
and this cable is nonadjustable. The slack can
keep you from pulling the blade fully, if it's
bad enough. Mine was not hitting the stop with
the pedal floored. So I made a spacer out of
vacuum hose and heat-shrink tubing; I'm sure
there are other variants.

My car has the TCS cluster so its cabling is
more busy, different from non-TCS cars. But it
is as cheap a performance improver as you can
get, if this is keeping you from full throttle
opening.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks alot guys with your help, very good ideas, i have tried to think of a million ways to fix it, but no luck, but i'll give it another shot this weekend now that i have some better ideas. thanks again for the detailed instructions!
Old 08-18-2003, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

No Problem!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

I would also check your TB cable for slack. I had the same problem and it turned out the TB cable tensioner had come loose.