Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: GMMG or True Duals?
Keep my GMMG
54.44%
Sell GMMG, and get TRUE DUALS
45.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

GMMG vs True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

click my myspace link and listen to the walk-around video and see what you think. i think it's the 3rd one down. it's pacesetter headers with a 2.5" H-pipe and single chambers, dumped. no turn-downs or anything. the 2nd video i have on there is a dyno pull, it was before the heads were on but same exhaust.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
that's one of the nicest sounding LS1s I've heard
Wow thank you, most LS/LT owners hate it because its raspy, but thats what i am in to. Glad to see someone finally agrees with me.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I like that it does't sound a like a speedboat cruising by

guess when I think "raspy" I'm thinking of something else
Old 07-06-2008, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MaroMan
Wow thank you, most LS/LT owners hate it because its raspy, but thats what i am in to. Glad to see someone finally agrees with me.
You and me both. I'm one of the few people who likes rasp.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

I don't really mind the loudness of exhaust. GMMG seems to have ahigher tone than most TD systems which seems to stand out a bit more. I want a clean, deep, and throaty rumble with limited rasp. Leaning towards Sweet Thunders.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

The poll is not making it any easier for me! Only a few more percent say GMMG. I have been listening to so many clips and I can't find a whole lot of people who have the true duals in my area to listen too!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

True duals, long tubes, and a cam!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your not running cats, i'd stay away from gmmg. Personally, cats or no cat, I'd go with true duals with single chamber mufflers. I've never had anybody say they didn't like the way mine sounded. I wish I could get ahold of a good camera and record mine for ya. Long tubes, 2.5'' cat-less H-pipe with flowmaster single chambers ran out the back is what I'm running and I've never heard an uncammed ls1 sound better. And from the headers back, my true duals cost less than a GMMG, and if you got a catback you'd have to add in the cost of a y-pipe too.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryans_pewter_ss
True duals, long tubes, and a cam!!!
That's what I HAD

traded it for Custom 3" O/R Y and GMMG C/B
Old 07-09-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

In pg1 i posted a bunch of clips for him to decide. my sig has my idle clip of my h and 1 chambers
Old 07-09-2008, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
In pg1 i posted a bunch of clips for him to decide. my sig has my idle clip of my h and 1 chambers
Did ya get a shop to get those to fit for ya or did ya get em on there yourself? My concern would be fitment with buying someone else's custom setup.

Last edited by SpeedWorld; 07-09-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am actually debating whether or not to get rid of mine right now. I want to keep it for sound, but I am sure it will choke the new LS7. It made 470 to the wheels with the GMMG on my head/cam combo, probably lost 10-20hp with the GMMG. Probably more with the 427. I don't know if it is worth the trade-off or not. I already get so many $70 exhaust tickets with the GMMG, true duals will murder ears. Don't know what to do, maybe spend more $$$$$ and do a sick true dual setup.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
I am actually debating whether or not to get rid of mine right now. I want to keep it for sound, but I am sure it will choke the new LS7. It made 470 to the wheels with the GMMG on my head/cam combo, probably lost 10-20hp with the GMMG. Probably more with the 427. I don't know if it is worth the trade-off or not. I already get so many $70 exhaust tickets with the GMMG, true duals will murder ears. Don't know what to do, maybe spend more $$$$$ and do a sick true dual setup.
You could get true duals with a real muffler(like a hooker, single chamber, or magnaflow) put in betweem the axle and bumper and put something like a sweet thunder or a powerstick in between the headers and the axle. that shouldn't be TOO loud. Or you could run a 3'' to 4'' merge with a 4'' cutout and then back to 3'' and into the GMMG. just some thoughts for ya.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SpeedWorld
Did ya get a shop to get those to fit for ya or did ya get em on there yourself? My concern would be fitment with buying someone else's custom setup.
My TDs were all custom made!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I went from a Magnaflow CB to Duals and now I'm fixing to buy a GMMG this saturday. I'll tell you why I don't recommend duals:
There's really not enough room underneath these cars for duals. Sure some pull it off but its a pain in the *** especially if you want it all the way out the back. Second, If you ever want to run a chassis mounted torque arm. Forget it. Duals are going to be right in the way of that ****. Third, they don't sound that much if any better. I actually preffered the way the Maggy sounded in every area except idle. Fourth and probably the most important there was no power gain going from a catback to duals. It actually felt slower.
Getting duals sounds great in theory and if our cars were designed and had room for them then that would be fine. But there not and duals are not worth it. Take it from someone who's had both. Oh and look at Torched T/A as well. Its not just a coincidence that we're doing the same thing here.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rocksws6
Well I went from a Magnaflow CB to Duals and now I'm fixing to buy a GMMG this saturday. I'll tell you why I don't recommend duals:
There's really not enough room underneath these cars for duals. Sure some pull it off but its a pain in the *** especially if you want it all the way out the back. Second, If you ever want to run a chassis mounted torque arm. Forget it. Duals are going to be right in the way of that ****. Third, they don't sound that much if any better. I actually preffered the way the Maggy sounded in every area except idle. Fourth and probably the most important there was no power gain going from a catback to duals. It actually felt slower.
Getting duals sounds great in theory and if our cars were designed and had room for them then that would be fine. But there not and duals are not worth it. Take it from someone who's had both. Oh and look at Torched T/A as well. Its not just a coincidence that we're doing the same thing here.

Right on, you hit the nail right on the head. My GMMG sounds sooooooooooo mych better than my h and 1 chambers....

I have the car out, afterwork i will get a sound clip for you all!!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

about time. I have been waiting!!!!
I sold my Borla and I just bought some Corsa 3.5 tips
And I might be ordering my GMMG catback soon.
so I need to here as my clips as possible to hold me over
Old 07-10-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BerryWS6
about time. I have been waiting!!!!
I sold my Borla and I just bought some Corsa 3.5 tips
And I might be ordering my GMMG catback soon.
so I need to here as my clips as possible to hold me over

ok for sure after work i will get some idle clips, some clips in the car and see if i can get some WOT clips

In the car clips, you want windows up or down?

What other clips do you want?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/C...224_163719.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/C...t-a_163721.htm

There's a couple short clips of my GMMG. Sounds good but I'm thinking about changing it up. It has a higher pitched tone than TDs.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XayLJH5rU1M

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhWcXupPDTc

I'm switching to duals. Quieter, deeper, more of a rumble and no rasp.

Quick Reply: GMMG vs True Duals