Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Temp.?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Radiator Temp.?

I couldn't find this anywhere. Does anybody know the average radiator temperature a 2 core would get to? Not the engine temp but the radiator itself, more specifically the lines that run across between the fins? What temperature would those get at idle? I'm assuming <200* but I'm not for sure. What do you guys think?
Old 06-22-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is hard to answer, The engine temp and radiator is one of the same . What goes the the engine goes threw the radiator . The fans and thermostat keep it at a constant temp
Old 06-22-2008, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
That is hard to answer, The engine temp and radiator is one of the same . What goes the the engine goes threw the radiator . The fans and thermostat keep it at a constant temp
I would imagine that what goes through the radiator would be cooler than the engine itself. Granted what goes through the block comes back into the radiator it goes there to be cooled. I was thinking with the fins, and air flow it would be quite cooler.. am I wrong? I don't mean to say that you are wrong, but I don't see a need for a radiator if they are both at the same temp the whole time.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like i was saying ,its hard to answer. The water coming out of the block is slowed down by the thermostat so the radiator can have time to cool the water.If you don't have a thermostat, the water don't have time to cool down because its being pushed thew the radiator to quickly. So the engine can over heat or have a higher temp. because of the water is not staying in the radiator long enough to be cooled.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Like i was saying ,its hard to answer. The water coming out of the block is slowed down by the thermostat so the radiator can have time to cool the water.If you don't have a thermostat, the water don't have time to cool down because its being pushed thew the radiator to quickly. So the engine can over heat or have a higher temp. because of the water is not staying in the radiator long enough to be cooled.
That is true, and guess with a lower temp t-stat I'm actually raising the temp of the radiator. I suppose I just need to get a thermostat (for measuring purposes, not the one for the WP) and hold it against the radiator and see where we are.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get a thermostat to do that.. waste of money... Get an IR thermometer. point at the radiator and you have the temp. It will all be around the same temp but I'd imagine the inlet of the radiator would be a little higher, outlet a little lower temp and engine itself be someplace in the middle.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Just to give you an idea-----In my 383 sbc I've got a 180* thermostat....at operating temperature, the temp of the radiator tubes on the inlet side is 175* and on the outlet side (other side of the fan) is 140*. Temps measured with a IR thermometer. If you've got a good cooling system, you should see a ~30* temp drop on the outlet side of the rad compared to the inlet side.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Just to give you an idea-----In my 383 sbc I've got a 180* thermostat....at operating temperature, the temp of the radiator tubes on the inlet side is 175* and on the outlet side (other side of the fan) is 140*. Temps measured with a IR thermometer. If you've got a good cooling system, you should see a ~30* temp drop on the outlet side of the rad compared to the inlet side.
Exactly what I'm looking for! Where would I get an IR thermometer? My cooling system should be up to par., well as much as it can be with the ProCharger in the way. I have the 1 large ATI fan, a 2000 cfm 9" Spal above the ProCharger, a 160* t-stat and a Howe 2 Core aluminum radiator w/some Purple Ice, lol.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

I got my IR gun at Harbor Freight for $30-40.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Where would I get an IR thermometer?
anywhere.. Auto parts stores have them, hardware stores, electronics stores.. just about anywhere.