Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnaflow question...

For those of you running Magnaflow mufflers, are they any louder than stock at idle and part throttle, or just louder at WOT?

I want something a bit louder than stock, and not just at WOT.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they are louder all around compared to stock, but they are still pretty quiet compared to others. it sounds awesome at WOT though IMHO
Old 06-28-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, thanks man.

For an otherwise stock exhaust, is this the one to get? I don't want the whole cat-back, just the muffler.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 06-28-2008, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

First I put on magnaflow.. was PISSED at how quiet it was, although it was nice at WOT.

Next threw a cutout on the I-pipe, still quiet, but definately louder and kept me happy for a couple weeks.

Now I have LT's ORY and Dynomax Bullet dumped at axle, and its still too quiet for me, so maybe I'm just crazy.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blazingz28
First I put on magnaflow.. was PISSED at how quiet it was, although it was nice at WOT.

Next threw a cutout on the I-pipe, still quiet, but definately louder and kept me happy for a couple weeks.

Now I have LT's ORY and Dynomax Bullet dumped at axle, and its still too quiet for me, so maybe I'm just crazy.
Wow....I was thinking of just a cutout, but I thought THAT was going to be too loud!

How loud was the cutout inside the car? Maybe I WILL go that route.

I'm not looking for something obnoxiously loud, I just want a good tone, something a bit more agressive than stock. I can't be too loud though, the cops here are strict on that, esp. in the summer. Plus I do a LOT of highway driving, I don't want any drone that will drive me nuts.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

i have a magnaflow catback, pacesetter LT's and a mufflex 3 in. ORY. my car is quiet enough so i can creep around but wide open its way louder than when i had duals. before i put on the headers and y and i was just stock with the catback, it was louder than stock but also sounded REALLY nice and damn good wide open. the cops by me are ******** too, if you want something more aggressive but not obnoxious its a good choice. by the way, open headers i.e. a cut out is pretty damn loud. good, but loud.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:37 AM
Launching!

I Don't Know If The Exahust On A Stock Ram Air Ws6 Is Any Different, But When I Changed It For The Magnaflow I Coulden't Tell The Difference Even At Wot!!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:51 AM

I really like the way magnaflow sounds, if you plan on going with a set of longtubes later i would get it and enjoy it
Old 06-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The catback is louder than stock at idle and part throttle primarily because of its big tips. Using just the muffler on stock manifolds with cats and tailpipes will be barely louder than stock except at WOT.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The catback is louder than stock at idle and part throttle primarily because of its big tips. Using just the muffler on stock manifolds with cats and tailpipes will be barely louder than stock except at WOT.
Hmmm, so if I just changed out the stock tips for Magnaflow style tips it'd accomplish the same thing?

I was listening to LS1sounds. com, and I like the sound of the Hooker, but I hate to put an aluminized muffler on a stainless sytem.

Maybe I should just go wtih a cutout...I can be obnoxiosly loud when I want to, yet quiet on the highway.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

i have lt's with a custom ory with the magnaflow and it was nice and deep sounding, but it just doesnt have tht raw WOT sound....the cut-out took care of tht though
Old 06-30-2008, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Hmmm, so if I just changed out the stock tips for Magnaflow style tips it'd accomplish the same thing?

I was listening to LS1sounds. com, and I like the sound of the Hooker, but I hate to put an aluminized muffler on a stainless sytem.

Maybe I should just go wtih a cutout...I can be obnoxiosly loud when I want to, yet quiet on the highway.

please dont believe that the tips will change the tone of your exhaust. That is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. I bought the entire Magnaflolw catback and it was well worth it! I have a cammed car and I love the way it sounds. I used to have pacesetter longtubes into true duals dumped at the rear axle. I liked how they sounded but it got old real quick.

Now I have pacesetter longtubes, pacesetter ORY, and magnaflow catback and it is the perfect sound in my opinion. It is tame at idle, gives a little throaty tone at mid rpms, and screams at WOT. I would get the full catback if you care about how it looks too. I got mine for $310 shipped brand new. The muffler and tips are polished and the entire system is stainless.

Brent
Old 06-30-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Quite for first 1000 or so miles....then it breaks in.I'd say its about 60% louder than stock. I'm really happy I didn't go any louder, they love to ticket us here!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Teching In

i hated my magnaflow to queit for me, so i threw in a cutout in the I pipe, but about to get LT's and ORY flowmaster Outlaw dumped before the axle probaly thow in electric cutouts before the ORY not sure yet.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
please dont believe that the tips will change the tone of your exhaust. That is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard.
On the contrary, anyone who has had experience working with exhaust systems knows that tips have a huge effect on sound.

To the OP, a Magnaflow or Hooker is going to sound a little louder and deeper at idle and part throttle than stock (let's face it, stock sounds completely lame) even without Magnaflow's "cannon" pipes and tips - but at WOT there will be a major difference.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

I think I had a loud Magnaflow. I had a local friend with a Dual/Dual tell me mine was louder. I also heard mine was comparable to a Loud Mouth.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
On the contrary, anyone who has had experience working with exhaust systems knows that tips have a huge effect on sound.

To the OP, a Magnaflow or Hooker is going to sound a little louder and deeper at idle and part throttle than stock (let's face it, stock sounds completely lame) even without Magnaflow's "cannon" pipes and tips - but at WOT there will be a major difference.
Thanks for the info. That's what I thought, the bigger tip will give it more echo or resonance and make it louder.....which is why the ricers love thier fart cans so much.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

I could see how going from a 1" diameter tailpipe to a 5" tailpipe would change sound...........but putting magnaflow original style tips in place of your stock ones would do nothing in my opinion.

Brent
Old 07-01-2008, 10:21 AM

Louder all around, but not as loud as a lot of others. Loud as hell @ WOT. I get a lot of complements on the way my car sounds.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i remember the day i put the magnaflow cat back on. i wasn't lookin for something really loud, just a nice deep sound. first time i started it, just at idle, i thought,'what have i done?!' it was louder than i thought i wanted. (i also took out the cat) but over the next month or so i really enjoyed it...got alot of comments from friends and even from some 60's-70's muscle car guys on how muscular it sounded. it sounds really powerful at wot, especially at ~3500 rpm where the hp curve comes alive.
two nice things about magnaflow are that its cheap and its all stainless. the 3.5 inch diameter tips are a little overkill, but they are like 15 inches long, not just a 3 inch piece.