Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide what mods to go with.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide what mods to go with.

Okay, looking for a few opinions here. This is kind of an either/or scenerio. Next spring my car will have around 80,000 miles on it and I would assume still be in the mint condition that it's in now. I'm trying to decide whether I should go with a full exhaust system (Hooker headers, Y-Pipe, and a Hooker cat-back) Or go with the Y-Pipe and Hooker cat-back, ditch the headers keep the manifolds, and get 4.10 gears instead. Car is a daily driver, driven around 250 miles a week. Would the headers make more of a difference than the gears or vice versa and which would be better in a daily driver. I suppose either way I'll have to get the car tuned. Keep in mind that with the gears I'd still have the stock 245 tires...like hell if I'm gonna put drag tires on the back with the stock 10-bolt. Even though the 4.10s would delete traction, I keep hearing how much darn fun they are. Opinions apprecitated and thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Help me decide what mods to go with.

I would not go headers unless a cam change is in the near future. 4.10's may b a little steep for as many miles as you put on in one week. 3.73 may be better for mileage and all around drivability. A y-pipe and a good cat back will work nice. I love my slp cme sound, but a gmmg is what I would really like to have. Never heard a hooker cat back.

How bout a ASP under drive pulley. Good bang for the buck.

just my .02
Old 08-19-2003, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers were a great mod for me, took off around .25 at the track (w/o tuning). Also, they make your car sound wicked! Some people have had problems running way rich after headers, I have been lucky and had no problems.

Gears are supposed to be great fun too, but I don't have any personal experience. If I were going to do it, 4:10s would be the only way to go on a MN6.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

An underdrive pulley was going to be a given, sorry I didn't mention that, but that is a great mod to do. I've heard that mileage isn't affected too much with the 4.10s, I would also consider going with 3.73s, but I hear that for the money you spend on gears, the difference from 3.42 to 3.73 just isn't worth it. Supposedly these cars go for a very long time, but I still just want to know if it would worth it to dump around $1000 in mods on a car with 80,000 miles on it, even though the car runs perfect now (knock on wood). The Hooker catback seems to be the best bang for the buck exhaust, although I haven't heard one either. I'm wondering what it sounds like compared to my flowmaster.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lose the crapmaster exhaust first, I still have to get rid of mine
Old 08-19-2003, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ZeeQuick, I wish I could be a help on an 80K mile car, only have 9K on my 02, but sounds like it will be pretty sweet.

Ferocity02, what do you have a triple piller pod for, what gauges are in there?
Old 08-20-2003, 08:49 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

LS6 intake, Hooker Lt's, QTP dual electric cut-out Y-pipe (so you can keep the Flowmaster).

4.10's rock, though I advise getting a 12 bolt if the modding will continue (and I'm sure it will)
Old 08-20-2003, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ferocity02, what do you have a triple piller pod for, what gauges are in there?
I got a very good deal on the pod. It's in there for the future installation of a supercharger. It would look funky without gauges so I bought cheap ones for it. Plus I wanted an accurate water temp gauge and a trans temp gauge. The A/F and trans gauge will be replaced with a boost and fuel pressure gauge in the future
Old 08-21-2003, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go with LT's w/ORP but get cutout's. If your going to get 4.10's at least put on some Nitto DR's. A friend of mine put on the 4.10's and he spins the tires like a **** off the line. I ran him and put 2 car's on him from the launch with my stock 3.23's!
Old 08-21-2003, 02:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

just out of curuiosity, how much (approx) would a 12 bolt swap cost me for a good one?
Old 08-21-2003, 08:43 AM
Teching In

just out of curuiosity, how much (approx) would a 12 bolt swap cost me for a good one?
$2,000.00 give or take.