Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to do headers + duals - few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to do headers + duals - few questions

I've been thinking about it for 2 or 3 weeks now, reading the board, listening to clips, etc. I went and talked to a local exhaust shop today about fabbing true duals from the headers, under the axle, to the tailpipes. It will have an H-pipe and 2.5" piping from the H-pipe back. The owner quoted me $250-300. Sound fair? I thought it was reasonable.

I've decided that I want 1 3/4 headers, coated inside and out, even though it will probably rust anyway and I'll kick myself for not getting stainless

I see MarylandSpeed has Pacesetters that they get Jet Hot coated inside and out for around $500. I think it used to be $400 earlier in the year, but whatever. There are also coated ones made by Jet Hot for around $500. Should I be inclined to go one way or the other? My impression from reading around here is that the Jet Hots are a copy of the Hooker comp headers, which are sort of a mid-range header and might work a little better than the Pacesetters (for installation, since they all have the same gains). Are there other header brands that are inside-coated I should be looking at? Am I stupid for not just paying an extra $350 for a set of Kooks and being done with it?

Exhaust tips, I'd like some Corsa clones or some sort of double-walled dual-dual tips. I saw a sponsor had them for around $50 each shipped, pretty reasonable?

Finally, mufflers... on my GTO I had an H-pipe and Spintechs and it sounded awesome. Anyone here have Spintechs on their F-body? I've seen some talk of it but nothing for sure and no clips. Guessing they would sound similar to the Morosos since they're both spiral flow mufflers?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

you'll love your exhaust! i have true duals under the axle with an H pipe and 2.5" piping to the LM1 resonators and then it's 3" from the resonators to my LM1 tips . . . but i love the way my car sounds!!!! are you gonna have your cats on or keep them off?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by King Nothing
you'll love your exhaust! i have true duals under the axle with an H pipe and 2.5" piping to the LM1 resonators and then it's 3" from the resonators to my LM1 tips . . . but i love the way my car sounds!!!! are you gonna have your cats on or keep them off?
Won't have cats, at least not for now. If it needs quieted down more or I move to a state that cares about emissions, I'll probably buy some magnaflow cats and have them welded in. Do you have longtubes on your car then? I've heard the LM1 resonator on a car with headers is way loud. Maybe it's better if you have two resonators and duals instead of a Y-pipe though.

I'm hoping my planned setup isn't too loud (at idle), I need to be able to creep through the neighborhood without pissing off the neighbors (too much).
Old 07-09-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i'll post my idle clip with a small drive in the video i think you can hear my car 6 or 7 houses down lol

LT's with no cats and LM1's under axle some people say it's too loud but it's perfect for me
Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow...raspy

i say go for the magnaflow 4x9 mufflers...they sound awesome on TD setups
Old 07-09-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say go with flowmaster single chambers. That's what I've got and they sound great(no sound clips though... no camera). single chambers are also easy to fit because they're small. The only thing i regret is not going above the axle on both sides because mine scrapes sometimes. And I'd definately go with XS headers. They're very good quality stainless headers and they're only about $500 shipped. Whatever you do, your duals are going to sound great. And $300 is a steal for header-back duals, and so is $50 for corsa clones. Because your getting it so cheap, I'd spend the extra money to get it run above the axle if I were you though.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dutinsss
I'd say go with flowmaster single chambers. That's what I've got and they sound great(no sound clips though... no camera). single chambers are also easy to fit because they're small. The only thing i regret is not going above the axle on both sides because mine scrapes sometimes. And I'd definately go with XS headers. They're very good quality stainless headers and they're only about $500 shipped. Whatever you do, your duals are going to sound great. And $300 is a steal for header-back duals, and so is $50 for corsa clones. Because your getting it so cheap, I'd spend the extra money to get it run above the axle if I were you though.
I've heard some single chamber flowmasters and liked the sound. I've heard that the flowmasters don't actually flow that well, but since I drive my car for fun I'm willing to give up some HP for a good sound.

XS headers are now the LPP headers, correct? I went to their site but I don't see any way to buy LS1 headers, where could I find a set?

As far as going over the axle, I've seen one or two setups where both 2.5" pipes go over the track bar brace on the RH side, is that what you mean? Is there enough clearance on the LH side to run a pipe that way? I thought that scraping wouldn't be a big deal because the lowest point is right under the axle, and whenever you hit speed bumps (if you go slow) it will raise the exhaust at that point as to not hit the ground.

Would have been nice if this car had duals from the factory... thanks GM!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

+1 on duals from the factory.

Last edited by boola1341; 07-09-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-09-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

thought i would throw this in, 3 inch duals with bullets. gives you an idea of volume level at wot:
http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...ent=track3.flv
this is a 3 inch dual with two sets (4 total) of louvered bullet style mufflers (stainless works brand maybe) sound quality is not great but it was prolly bc we were standing so close.
http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...ent=hilton.flv
Old 07-09-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you need someone to install them pm dheck he can get them done for you and its fast
Old 07-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Good videos 01ssreda4, your car really screams at WOT. I'm pretty well convinced that duals are the way to go. I'm not too concerned about the noise level, just that if I'm coming home or leaving home at night I can drive slow and hopefully not awaken the whole neighborhood. Anyone have thoughts on getting the Jet Hot headers or the Pacesetters that are Jet Hot coated? Same price, my impression is that the Jet Hots are a little nicer (which for headers apparently just means they are easier to install).
Old 07-10-2008, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

My pacesetters went in like a dream no problems whatsoever, so that's really your call. Have you listened to the sweet thunder mufflers? They are a bullet style muffler and sound great. I don't know if you can buy just the muffler though
Old 07-14-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white99ta
I've heard some single chamber flowmasters and liked the sound. I've heard that the flowmasters don't actually flow that well, but since I drive my car for fun I'm willing to give up some HP for a good sound.

XS headers are now the LPP headers, correct? I went to their site but I don't see any way to buy LS1 headers, where could I find a set?

As far as going over the axle, I've seen one or two setups where both 2.5" pipes go over the track bar brace on the RH side, is that what you mean? Is there enough clearance on the LH side to run a pipe that way? I thought that scraping wouldn't be a big deal because the lowest point is right under the axle, and whenever you hit speed bumps (if you go slow) it will raise the exhaust at that point as to not hit the ground.

Would have been nice if this car had duals from the factory... thanks GM!

Black2002ws6 sells LPP headers. Just pm him for info. And my pipes run under the axle on both sides so if I were to get it rerun it would be over both sides. I think its tricky going over the left side but it's been done. Most go over the drivers side with both pipes though. And your right about it not being that big of a deal because the rear tires hit and lift the car, but when I have 3 people in the car, I scrape sometimes. It's not that big of a deal though.