Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "Catch Can" inside...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "Catch Can" inside...

This is another "Catch Can" to prevent oil from the PCV system from getting into the intake. I used:
- A stiff aluminum beverage bottle (one of the "Energy" drinks... "Fire," I think...)
- Three 3/8" brass connectors,
- A 1/4" brass drain valve with a PVC tubing compression fitting,
- Five small and one large hose clamps,
- Some epoxy, and
- Some 3/8" ID fuel line hose.
(Oh, and some black engine enamel paint.)

Mounting it to the A/C tubing was a cinch... Just use two hose clamps, perpendicular to each other! Here's the result:

I'll post after a couple weeks to let everybody know how it works.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Another "Catch Can" inside...

Slick!!! So to do the mod do you just cut that tube and place a bottle in the middle of it to catch the oil that goes through? Can the bottle go anywhere as long as the hose still goes where is is supposed to? Is it safe to do on my car, and can you re-use the old oil? Thanks!
Old 08-24-2003, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Another

Actually, there was no cutting involved. Just remove the hose from the PCV valve assembly, and fit the 3/8" connectors in between (wherever there is a "female" connection).

Try to keep the inlet/outlet tubes relatively level with the PCV line and the intake tube, so that you don't end up with a siphon. I suppose you could re-use the old oil... I don't plan to though.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

no, look for a filter by the air compresor tools, it has a blue top and clear bottom and get i think 1/4 in. adapters and it works well also, i can post pics if you want to see what im talkin about... you can also see how much oil it catches and saves on blowback