Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exhaust sounds the best

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What exhaust sounds the best

GMMG hans down!!! I installed it saturday and it sounds amazing. You can hear sound clips at their website GMMG Inc. . It is pretty pricy but well worth it for this amazing sound.
Yep, what he said!
Old 08-27-2003, 04:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True Duals w/ X pipe
Old 08-27-2003, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I may be getting a 1998 Z28, and I need to know what exhaust sounds the best. Any sound clips of borla, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, etc...?Thanks a lot.
What food taste best? What Music sounds best? IMHO, there is no way to really answer your question because this something you'll have to decide for yourself. Wish it was that simple but it's a personal preference and by asking "what exhaust sounds best" at the most will get you opinions of what sounds best TO OTHER PEOPLE which won't do you much good because what sounds good to one person may sound horrible to another. It's utlimately a personal decesion your going to have to make. I recommend you search for soundclips or even better try to listen in person to a few exhaust setups and take it from there..

Good Luck with it!

Old 01-21-2006, 04:40 AM
Teching In

Default Silverado SS

What is the best sounding exhaust on the silverado SS?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

go with loudmouth...probably puts down the most hp out of all the catbacks, is loud as hell. people will tell you if you do longtube headers and loudmouth, it sounds disgusting...but loudmouth, is just all out nasty, obnoxious, and loud as hell..i heard the gmmg, and i was disappointed in it..i heard it on a stock firehawk and i didnt even hear it..
Old 01-21-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

SLP LOUDMOUTH baby.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Longtubes with either an x or h-pipe... IMO the best sounding mufflers for duals would be 1 chambered flowmasters or sweet thunders.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

That's really not a question one can just walk in and ask. Because, if you'll look, you will end up with an entire thread like what you have here. Every time someone new gets an F-body, they come in with the same question: "What is the best sounding exhaust for my car?" And every thread always turns out the same. I'm not at all trying to rip on you, just telling you how it normally goes.

What you need to do is decide what you want out of an exhaust system. A couple questions you should ask yourself before you consider exhaust choices:

1. What are your plans for the car? Are you going to do simple exhaust changes or do you plan on ever going with longtube headers, etc. This may decide if you want true duals or a simple catback.
2. How loud do you want your exhaust to be? Some new guys walk in, saying they want the loudest exhaust money can buy. We tell them to look into longtubes with the Nascar-style Boomtube exhaust. What happens? Their definition of "very loud" quickly changes and they decide that they want something much quieter.
3. How much are you looking to spend? This might dictate if you're going to do just a simple muffler swap, or something more such as an $850 GMMG catback or a $1500 true dual setup that runs over the axle and out the back.
4. What kind of sound characteristics are you looking for? Loud, quiet, or somewhere in between? Do you want a sound that is smooth and mellow, or something more raspy and sharp? Do you want an exhaust that will have more of a deep rumble, or perhaps something with a higher-pitched crackle to it? If you'd like, PM me and we can talk about which setups will give you certain sounds.

As you can see, there is a lot to consider. But you should really do some research before you come in and simply ask which one is the best. I'd suggest reading this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142 I see that you have a truck that's fairly built up, but in terms of an LS1 exhaust, you may need to do a little learning perhaps. Because with exhaust, it is really a subjective topic. Everyone has what they think is the best, therefore, you're going to get a hugely varied response like what you have here so far. Some people think theirs is the best, while the very next person will hate it and tell you something different. Your best bet is to go to www.ls1sounds.com and listen to every possible setup you can. Then maybe you can get a feel for what you want out of an exhaust.

Do your research and have fun choosing, because there is plenty out there!
Old 01-21-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

In my "opinion."

(1) Sound=GMMG(by a large margin)
(2) Loudmouth=Flow(by a small margin)
(3) Other CB's with close to the LM flow potential=GMMG, Magnaflow, TSP Rumbler among others.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Doesn't anyone like Corsa's catback? I thought they were about the nices catback you could get.

Anyway if your looking for a deep smooth sounding catback I'd go with B&B. They don't put out much exhaust flow though as I've heard.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
In my "opinion."

(1) Sound=GMMG(by a large margin)
(2) Loudmouth=Flow(by a small margin)
(3) Other CB's with close to the LM flow potential=GMMG, Magnaflow, TSP Rumbler among others.
"In my opinion", I'd fully agree 100% with everything you said.

The bottom two are pretty much factual as well.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssmaro
Doesn't anyone like Corsa's catback? I thought they were about the nices catback you could get.

Anyway if your looking for a deep smooth sounding catback I'd go with B&B. They don't put out much exhaust flow though as I've heard.

I've heard the Corsa's have a defect and will develope a rattle at some point in time. I'm not sure though, maybe that's been corrected by now. I would hope so, because the Corsa is alot of $$ to fork out only to have to replace the muffler when it rattles. Maybe someone that knows about this problem, and whether or not it's been fixed can chime in.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had a 05 silverado with LT and ORY and had a magnaflow catback and loved the way it sounded not loud at all just puttin around but when you go WOT that baby would scream! just my .02
Old 01-21-2006, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

LTs, and Hooker
Old 01-21-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Compression,Cam,Long tubes & X-Pipe
Old 01-21-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cam and anything you want.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone have Borla Catback? Looking to buy one for my 2001 WS6
Old 06-19-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Veteran

I like my GMMG with Catted Y pipe.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:57 AM
On The Tree

4" MUFFLEX!! best Ive heard. Sounds like GMMG without rasp. Its very quiet with no load and very loud when wide open. Its the only catback Ive heard that actually sounds like true duals.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:00 AM
On The Tree

I guess I need to post a sound clip or video.

lt's,mufflex ORY and 4" catback with spintech muffler.

Quick Reply: What exhaust sounds the best