Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my BBK LTs today, just one problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Installed my BBK LTs today, just one problem

I bought the BBK ceramic coated header kit from LMPerformance for my 00 SS. I really like the look of these headers, the ball flanges on the header collectors, & the split Y-pipe design. The ORY comes with o2 bungs if you wanna install cats later. I installed them today, & installing the headers were a breeze. I did not have to remove the steering shaft, just the oil dipstick tube & the plug wires. Of course I did delete the AIR & EGR as these are not available with emmision hookups I ran into a problem trying to install the Y-pipe. It would not connect to the stock catback, Y-pipe is at least the same size or a lil bigger than the factory exhaust pipe. I thought the Y-pipe should slide into the exhaust pipe, but it looks like it would be easier to have the Y expanded to fit over it & use a 3 inch clamp.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the Y pipe is bigger, i know it's said to be 2.5" then converts to 3" at the merge and stock pipes are 2.5" arent they??? Im sure you could do what you suggested, then later on get a new catback system...

Im thinking of possibly ordereing those same LongTubes. Let me know how performance turns out with them???
Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Badguy7
I believe the Y pipe is bigger, i know it's said to be 2.5" then converts to 3" at the merge and stock pipes are 2.5" arent they??? Im sure you could do what you suggested, then later on get a new catback system...

Im thinking of possibly ordereing those same LongTubes. Let me know how performance turns out with them???

I just got my car, & was really set on cc pacesetter LTs. I did some research on which Y-pipe to get & it seemed like they all had some kind of issue. I found these headers & I liked the ball flanges better, the price is very good at $500 free shipping & liked BBKs Y-pipe design, although their Y doesnt fit right to the catback. Pretty sure the stock catback is 3 inch. I like my stock catback, sounds sweet with the Borla muffler. I will get it expanded tomorrow & that should take care of it. I will post some installed pics.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm... that's odd, mine fit just fine...

I'd be interested in seeing some pics

Congrats on the new mod!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
hmmm... that's odd, mine fit just fine...

I'd be interested in seeing some pics

Congrats on the new mod!!!
Actually, mine fit really good also, except for that Y-pipe. It cost me $50 to have an extra piece of pipe welded on. Not only was it too big, it was also too short by a few inches. It was just long enough so I could clamp it & drive to a muffler shop. I had to pull the catback halfway out of its hangers toward the Y so yea it was a lil short. Other than that, I like the system. It tucks up real nice. It sounds really good too with no cats. I didnt notice any drone or rasp, it sounds basically stock until you get on it. One of the pipes is hitting when taking off in 1st gear, so I will have to install the prothane mounts I got. I got quite a few pics, I will post when I get home later.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

stock intermediate pipe is 2 3/4"
Old 08-05-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Default pics of the headers

Heres a few pics of the headers installed.

Heres a pic of the Y-pipe end that didnt fit. I took that pic after I had it stretched. I am sure it was supposed to fit inside the factory pipe, but had the muffler shop put a new section of pipe on. It looks like it was just stretched a lil too big from the factory. It took me about 3 1/2 hours to remove everything & install these headers on a hoist. A pretty easy install IMO.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

Looks really good. How's the power gain???
Old 08-09-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Looks really good. How's the power gain???
I didnt have it dyoned before & after but I will guess 20 hp. It pulls nice. The most important thing to me was how it would sound. After reading posts about having drone & rasp after header installs without cats, I was a lil paranoid. I can tell you for sure, none of that from mine, it sounds very sweet. Maybe its because of the Borla muffler, or because I have a stock motor. I need to post a few sound clips up. I am glad I got these headers. I bought a UMI tunnel brace TA w/ DSL & crossmember with extra clearance for LTs not yet installed. My Y tucks up so good, I prolly could have gotten the regular crossmember. These are a great set of headers for the money.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:56 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

50$ to have it stretched?!! Wow. Some places will do it for a "tip".
Old 08-09-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You think that's to much, how bout being charged $120 just to install tips. I cant even imagine how much that shop charges to get a entire exhaust system installed.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I didnt have it dyoned before & after but I will guess 20 hp. It pulls nice. The most important thing to me was how it would sound. After reading posts about having drone & rasp after header installs without cats, I was a lil paranoid. I can tell you for sure, none of that from mine, it sounds very sweet. Maybe its because of the Borla muffler, or because I have a stock motor. I need to post a few sound clips up. I am glad I got these headers. I bought a UMI tunnel brace TA w/ DSL & crossmember with extra clearance for LTs not yet installed. My Y tucks up so good, I prolly could have gotten the regular crossmember. These are a great set of headers for the money.
Yeaa, ive been questioning whether to go with cat's or no cat's. For me, the cat's are more for inspection purposes because im not very sure how they are about not having cat's here. Ive already got a new inspection so dont have to worry about this till next year. My custom Y is pretty shitty, so it's good to hear that this BBK Y Pipe tucks up nicely. I think i may just be ordering these LT's later on today
Old 08-09-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I didnt have it dyoned before & after but I will guess 20 hp.
20 Sounds about right, i gained 17rwhp from just my ebay headers, and ORY.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
No, they had to add a small section of pipe because the Y was a few inches too short. They ended up adding about a 12 inch section & yes, still a lil high even for that.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The ball flanges are a nice touch. I got tired of leaking band clamps so I had some V-Band clamps welded in.
I wish these were out when I was shopping for headers. The merge in the y pipe looks to have a smooth transition. Sweet, man!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
The ball flanges are a nice touch. I got tired of leaking band clamps so I had some V-Band clamps welded in.
I wish these were out when I was shopping for headers. The merge in the y pipe looks to have a smooth transition. Sweet, man!
Yep, do like the ball flanges better for ease of removal & tightening. I wish I got a pic of the Y merge cuz it is a very nice, smooth merge unlike what I have heard about pacesetters Y.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Ordered this same setup lastnight. I cant wait to get this in, ill post pics of the Y Pipe merge & etc. if you guy's want come next weekend. Only time ill have to do this, this working nights **** aint cuttin it anymore lol Hardly anytime for ****...
Old 08-10-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh this is a much better merge than the pacesetter merge. I ended up hacking it out and putting a 4" flowmaster merge in mine. I've got pics of how horrible the pacesetter merge is in my sig.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here you go guys... I took these pics on the first set that came out from prototyping (which are now on my car) from BBK... ENJOY!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Dammit, i just want mine to arrive now and get em installed lol Think this is the most excited ive been for anything ive done to the car. Guess because it's the biggest Performance mod so far and i just wanna see how the car's gonna perform.

Quick Reply: Installed my BBK LTs today, just one problem