Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bolton Install Tomorrow. Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my buddy got a good amount done tonight. We mounted the intake manifold and reinstalled everything related to that. I didn't break my OPSU (at least I think I didn't), however I had both motor mounts off so I actually lowered the motor as far as I could which allowed for plenty of room to lift it off the engine. I made sure to reconnect the small vaccuum line as well as the brake booster hose and the sensor in the back of the intake. One thing I noticed is that my PCV actually came out of the head because it was clipped on the intake correctly. Luckily I caught it before I bolted the intake down. Just a warning to be careful with that.

So after I got the intake done I remounted the motor mounts to the block. The biggest bitch in the world was realigning the mounts to the brackets on the car. I ended up grinding one of the bolts to a point, prying the **** out of the mount and hammering the bolt in to get it to go. Mounts were a huge pain in the *** so hopefully it makes a difference!

I also changed the spark plugs, which was easy as hell with the exhaust removed. My #8 plug (passenger side rear) was an original AC Delco plug! I guess the previous owner got lazy. Plugs all looked pretty good but I'm sure my new TR55's will rock (had autolites before...)

Now all I have left is to reinstall all the **** I took off to get to the mounts (Alternator, A/C, etc.), put the headers and Y pipe on, change out the MAF, bleed the clutch system, put on a new fuel filter and my week of maintainance is done!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
The most I ever did in a day was, Intake,headers, shocks, plugs,tq arm,swaybar front and rear,breaks and rotors!. Started at 0500 in the morning finish 2200 LOL Will I do it again Hell no! but was fun! Good luck. and a quick tip. If you still have the intake off I would buy a oil pressure sending unit socket,Put the socket on the pressure sending unit then replace the intake. Better than spending 50 bucks on a sending unit for a 3 dollar socket.
Wish I would have seen this before I busted mine. How big is the socket?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:31 AM
12 Second Club

When I changed the plugs in my car at 145xxx(got it at 135xxx) the number 8 had NEVER been changed, it was in horrible shape and no wonder I had a laundry list of SES codes. ive put 15k in this bastard already and got another 20ish to go before shes "done"
Old 08-17-2008, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

This is minor but will cut down on the frustration. Find an old socket wrench 1/4 or 3/8" and cut the handle in half. You'll use this to remove the back bolts on the coil packs. There's no room back there to ratchet a regular length socket wrench. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Before you slide the manifold back in place to button it up, place the back bolts in the back holes first. You can't get 'em in with the manifold in place.

When reinstalling the brake booster hose in back of the manifold, lube it up with some vasoline. It's a bitch to reach back there and get enough force to slide it all the way back on.

You're gonna need some swivels to bolt-on the headers.

Good luck! Take your time.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bluestrat
Well I'm finally installing my Pacesetters, poly motor mounts, and LS6 intake tomorrow. Is there any final advice you guys have before I take the plunge? Biggest thing I've done install wise to my car before is a catback so this will be interesting
Add a oil catch can
Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default swivels

Originally Posted by Predator
This is minor but will cut down on the frustration. Find an old socket wrench 1/4 or 3/8" and cut the handle in half. You'll use this to remove the back bolts on the coil packs. There's no room back there to ratchet a regular length socket wrench. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Before you slide the manifold back in place to button it up, place the back bolts in the back holes first. You can't get 'em in with the manifold in place.

When reinstalling the brake booster hose in back of the manifold, lube it up with some vasoline. It's a bitch to reach back there and get enough force to slide it all the way back on.

You're gonna need some swivels to bolt-on the headers.

Good luck! Take your time.
swivels are really, really nice, but you dont NEED them. i got mine done with deep sockets and normal sockets, some wobble extentions, a wratchet and a breaker bar. it actually went almost painlessly