Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can u make an fbody sound like a vette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008 | 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

I'm with full force on this one. Its all in the pipes. Ever wonder why a 5.0 and a 4.6 sound pretty much the exact same? Well, Im pretty sure that the boddies are different between a late 80's 5.0 and a late 90's 4.6... and I'm pretty sure that those are two entirely different engines. Now, you can put the exact same muffler on a F150 and it will sound like a truck. Why? Because of the pipes (to include manifolds).

Remove the engines from the vehicles and hook up all the exhausts and start them up. You're going to notice some differences, like how the vette doesnt merge into one 3" pipe and rasp its way into one dual outlet muffler... but instead travel down a nice path to some very expensive mufflers. One sounds like a camaro... like all 4th gen camaros, and the other sounds like a vette (which can have a formula 1 sound to it... listen to the pacecar edition mufflers).
Old 08-12-2008 | 11:20 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by fastjarred98
thanks choco... i understand i cant make the bends the same as the vette i have a comp cam to start with so it has nothing to do with the years for me .... i have hooker longtubes which you are right... they arent equal length on both sides....but i have continued the 3" from the collector all the way to the dumps...i know the headers are different (bends shape length) which do contribute but i have the same motor as the 98 ls1 vette so shouldnt the sound be somewhat similar with the same sized x piping and resonators. i dont have the same bends as the vette does behind the bumper and im going under axle vs. the vette over the irs... and i will be putting the stingers right before the tips like the vette...thank god that i dont have rasp!! the rasp i believe comes from the y pipe where the exhaust gasses merge against each other at the Y and the rasp comes from the pressure of the two pipes deflecting against where they meet each other not the chassis.... now exhaust does have a resonation off the chassis like you said but im describing behind the car sound....
You can definitely give it a try. It will probably sound good, just don't expect it to sound exactly like a Corvette. I think you might be surprised by how different it sounds, but you'll still wind up with a badass sounding exhaust assuming you get the ground clearance of the TD's acceptable without the mufflers rattling on the floorboards. I don't know how well stingers will fit right at the tips.
Old 08-12-2008 | 11:23 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
I'm with full force on this one. Its all in the pipes. Ever wonder why a 5.0 and a 4.6 sound pretty much the exact same?
5.0's and 4.6's don't sound alike. 5.0's are much deeper than 4.6's. The 4.6's have a much "sweeter" tone while the 5.0's have a much nastier tone. Yes, there is some level of similarity, but there is still a clear difference.

The thing you're forgetting is that when Ford set out to make the Mustang, they actually spent R&D trying to get the cars to sound similar. For instance, with the new 3V GT's, Ford spent hours upon hours and tons of money designing the chassis, exhaust and motor to get it to have that "Mustang sound." GM never designed the F-body to have "Corvette sound." In fact, there is no stereotypical "Corvette sound" in the same way there is that well-defined, stereotypical "Mustang sound." Even with all the R&D that Ford put in, I can STILL tell the difference between a 5.0L and a 4.6L GT blindfolded with a cotton ball in one ear.
Remove the engines from the vehicles and hook up all the exhausts and start them up. You're going to notice some differences
For some reason, I get the feeling that you haven't pulled the motor and exhaust out of a Corvette and F-body chassis, sat them side-by-side out of the bodies, started them up next to each other and listened for differences. My gut just tells me you're making stuff up, here.
Old 08-13-2008 | 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

its the bends in the pipes, headers, cats, and mufflers that make it sound different. if you get it all the same, except the bends and headers it will probably sounds somewhat similar.
Old 08-13-2008 | 02:09 AM
Launching!

One of the times i was at the dragstrip I asked the kid what his exhaust set up was. He has C5 Corvette with heads and cam, american racing headers, high flow cats into a borla XR-1 Straight pipe exhaust. It was the best sounding vette i had ever heard. Reason why there were no mufflers. I wanted that sound, but the only way to get it, is to go out and buy a vette and get the same exhaust setup.
Old 08-13-2008 | 08:01 AM
Restricted User

You can make an F body sound BETTER than a 'vette. H/C/I/E!!!
Old 08-13-2008 | 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Stock wise, a vette has shorty style headers, high flow cats (touted by GM to be as close to free flow as you can get with a cat), shorter piping from exhaust to tip and different mufflers. Also equal length for the most part.

On an f-body, the exhaust manifolds were terrible, the cats flowed decent, the piping was longer and went to a y had more bends and the muffler was completely different.

Even if you do a cat back, the manifolds will dictate the sound characteristic a lot. If you had a vette and f-body and went with longtubes, identical cats and mufflers, then the longtubes routing and bends would alter the sound along with the longer pipe routing to change the sound enough. Each bend and angle will reflect the sound differently despite identical motors.
Old 08-13-2008 | 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
its the bends in the pipes, headers, cats, and mufflers that make it sound different. if you get it all the same, except the bends and headers it will probably sounds somewhat similar.
Thank you. Thats what I was trying to get across. And no, I havent had the engines out and set side by side. I wasnt trying to make it sound like I had. I am saying that if all you could see was exhaust and engine (no body/chassis) its going to look completely different. My original tone wasnt scientific... I'd call it smart assish
Old 08-14-2008 | 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

I think this new slp exhaust sounds like a c6 z06 with headers and corsa that i rode in. Especially in the second clip. Just my opinion. Its pretty expensive but sounds damn good.
Heres the link http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=31083
Old 08-14-2008 | 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Now if you can make it sound lkike this Vette.......

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZTbR6C6Lw
Old 08-14-2008 | 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

What is up with that thing? It sounds nasty! Pacecar mufflers?
Old 08-14-2008 | 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gtpvette

This is just my opinion, but that vette sounds horrible, I've heard vetts that sound way better than that.... in fact a stock vette sounds better, yuck!
Old 08-14-2008 | 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is up with that thing? It sounds nasty! Pacecar mufflers?
That would be the 180 degree headers that makes it sound like that. I like it personally. If they made 180 headers for a f-body I would be all over that ****.
Old 08-15-2008 | 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2002_z28_m6
I think this new slp exhaust sounds like a c6 z06 with headers and corsa that i rode in. Especially in the second clip. Just my opinion. Its pretty expensive but sounds damn good.
Heres the link http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=31083
I love the sound of both clips!!! so is that slp exhaust pretty much a loudmouth with extra resonators before the tips?? and im pretty sure that t/a has an slp block in it
Old 08-15-2008 | 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Strange thread, This difference in the sound is the Z has higher compression and a cam. Do that to your car and it will most likly sound better that the Z did.
I personally think the F-bodys sound more like mussel cars than the Vettes do. I have Kooks and an borla XR-1. I've never herd my car from the outside while going down the road. I have herd F-Bodys W/ cams and other work as I drove near them and I think they sound great. More like a hot rod. I love my car and I love Vettes, but I've often wondered why the F-bodys (with motor work) sounded better
Old 08-15-2008 | 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastjarred98
I love the sound of both clips!!! so is that slp exhaust pretty much a loudmouth with extra resonators before the tips?? and im pretty sure that t/a has an slp block in it
Yeah it is two mufflers or resonators at the back. No middle one. Its pretty obvious that that car has alot done to it. But damn does it sound good. I just dont want to have to part with my CME to get my car to sound like that.
Old 08-15-2008 | 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gtpvette

Im not a fan of that sound. I think the best sounding car I have been around was a C6 Z06 with kooks headers catted Y and Corsa catback. Sounded awesome.

Quick Reply: can u make an fbody sound like a vette?