Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macs --> Kooks (FI)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macs --> Kooks (FI)

I just picked up my car from East Side Performance after a Mac (cat y-pipe) to Kooks header upgrade and a NoGo retune. I was primarily looking for better sound and quality but also ended up with a nice little power gain. The Kook's are stainless 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" with emissions hardware and a magnaflow cat y-pipe. The car sounds much better now (no more RASP)!

Before: 502 RWHP/429 RWTQ (SAE)
After: 546 RWHP/473 RWTQ (SAE)

Now I need to get it to the track.

-Ken
Old 08-30-2003, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Macs --> Kooks (FI)

WOW! Nice Gains just swapping headers. I wonder how much you would have gained if you didnt have cats on the Y-Pipe.

I think Im going to swap to Kooks, Dont think I will see as much gains as you, but 5 hp is at least worth it.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet, thats a good gain for sure. Im glad that I got rid of my macs for some hookers. I still have a little rasp but its no big deal. I still feel that this is one more reason to get LTs instead of mids....
SNAXS you will gain a lot more than 5hp, especially on the gas
Old 08-30-2003, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much gain before the tune? Maybe NoGo has the info.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

RagTop 99: I wasn't there for the tuning and I haven't talked to Kevin since the tune so I don't know what the gain was with just the headers before any tweaking of the tune. Kevin did the tune that produced the "before" numbers a couple of weeks ago when we did the forged internals. The only change since then was the addition of an intank Walbro FP (had some slight FP drop in the upper RPM's with the stock pump and an inline Walbro) and the Kooks headers. The fuel pressure drop before the intank pump change wasn't critical, I just wanted to be on the safe side.

-Ken