Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has drilled a hole in their TB?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Who has drilled a hole in their TB?

Mods are in my sig..... Ive been to my tuner 3 times and still my car stalls once in a while after start up and somtimes when I have the steering wheel turned in parking lot manuvers.

He has the Idle set at 838 rpm, and I have the TB blade screwed out to right before it goes to 1% throttle. It is at a constant 0%.

Im thinking I need to drill another hole, or enlarge the stock one?

Please let me know what you think

Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I left my hole alone untill i was at the tuner and we couldn't get it to idle so I pulled it out drilled just alittle bigger. dont go to much.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same issue as you!!! it took a bit for my car to get driving perfect!! my car would buck/surge and die out. it would die out when i let my foot off the gas and coast through the parking lot, and also parking in the driveway inclined..

i heard bout drilling the TB and messing with the TB screw. i didnt do either though because i heard it would be better to have sometime of softward like hp tuners or something to monitor airflow. so i just went back to my tuner where i got my work done, he drove it and noticed the RPM's kept dipping and retweaked the IAC...my car drives smooth as hell..
Old 08-29-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason for making the hole bigger is to get your IAC counts down. Some say it's necessary to make the hole bigger, some say you should never touch it. My counts were still very high after adjusting the stop screw as far as I could before the TPS sensor would no longer zero out. So I made the hole slighly larger. But you really shouldn't mess with it unless you can monitor the IAC counts and your sure your tune is otherwise close. If the counts hit zero you went to far. If you can't back off the stop screw and get them to move up a bit you have to replace the TB blade or make the hole smaller somehow.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Launching!

The guy has tried messing with my IAC on 3 occasions.

He did a tune on my H/C LT1 car and it was great. But I have a more radical combo going on here....
Old 08-29-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Droptoplt1ta
The guy has tried messing with my IAC on 3 occasions.

He did a tune on my H/C LT1 car and it was great. But I have a more radical combo going on here....

is there any other shop that might be able to tune it in your area? its definitely a tuning issue!!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

I would say a second opinion might be worth it, if he has had 3 chances to fix it and hasn't maybe your better off moving on to another tuner, and save yourself some headaches. Now I'm not saying your tuner is bad...just that tuners think somewhat differently and a fresh though might help in this case.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
is there any other shop that might be able to tune it in your area? its definitely a tuning issue!!

I already paid this guy here. If I had a lot of money I would have gotten a dyno tune.... Im not made out of money

My guy will keep adjusting my car, but it is a pain in the *** always trying to get ahold of him and drive to his house...
Old 08-29-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I can tell you from experience that it's not easy to get it right and it takes some time. To do it right, he needs to start with the car cold and monitor then adjust idle airflow for the different temp ranges as it warms up. This should be done a couple of times. Then if he has the airflow right, there are other areas in the tune that may need to be tweaked for good street maners. I had to spend quite a bit of time on the cracker, follower and learning tables in addition to getting fueling right and finding the amount of spark it seemed most happy with. Your cam shouldn't have very good maners with a good tune though, since it's on a 114.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

do not drill out. It will **** up your tune.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Drilling the throttle body is an old method of tuning, or if you have no tuning ability (software). It accomplishes the same as raising the Running Airflow table in the tune. I have tuned cars with 24x cams and left the stock hole alone, but they idle at 900 rpms and started just fine. Mind you, the counts will be around 120 or so when warmed up. If the counts get up past 250, then I would consider opening the TB hole slightly, otherwise i always leave it alone. If you open it more, you will need to readjust the idle tune.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Launching!

My guy (LJ / Qicsan) has tuned my car 4 times for this. We never get it to act up when he has the car....

Car also stalls out after a burn out...

Mods are in sig

IAC has been cleaned and reset.

Help anybody?
Old 10-06-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've tuned dozens of these cars and you have to drill the TB blade at least 2 drill bit sizes bigger than stock when you add a aftermarket cam, especially with an auto car.

Leave the set screw alone, no need to adjust that and your TPS should be at 0% at idle.

Once drilled out, you have to tune the RAF table, then all is good (more or less)
Old 10-07-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

DO NOT DRILL HOLE! Try another tuner

Last edited by SIC LSX; 10-07-2008 at 12:46 PM.