Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARG! Help with Noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARG! Help with Noise!!!

After I got my headers and ASP pulley installed, my engine started making a ticking noise. The noise is only on a cold start, increases the ticking with rpms up until about 3500 or so and continues until the engine warms up. At first I thought it was the AIR pump check valves, so I bought the reducers for the tubes, but the noise continued. I figured the check valves were bad, so I unplugged the pump all together, but the noise continued.

So I started the car cold and put my head in the engine bay to listen. As far as I can tell, it's coming from one of the pulleys (sounds like tensioner pulley). Is there any way to test this out? Is this a common problem? It only started since I had the ASP installed (by a reputable shop). Do I have to buy a new tensioner pulley to fix or can something be lubed or other wise fixed somehow?

Chris
Old 09-03-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: ARG! Help with Noise!!!

those tensioners are pieces of crap. i believe speed inc. makes a billet one thats supposed to be better. I had mine replaced at the dealership and it went bad a few weeks later. you could try a new pulley at murrays for 7 bucks. i havent put mine on yet, but i hope it will help a bit. im sure thats not all your hearing though. the injectors, piston slap at start up, the motor is just louder since its alum. thats all i can think of...
Old 09-03-2003, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

You mentioned you put on lt's.....it may be collector noise, which is normal.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah could be from the collector which it is normal for it to make a noise.As far as the tensioner goes it is a piece of crap and I would get the billet one from speed inc. I believe.Let us know how it turns out.