Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with power steering pulley puller ls1. 2000

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with power steering pulley puller ls1. 2000

which one do i use? i know i use the jawas and the oring. I don't remember which one the guy from autozone used. I bought a new pulley and it seems to have ridges that look like cracks all over. Do you think its a bad one? IF SO I hate gm parts.

i want to remove it to return it for another or try to adjust it better. For it seems all wack and not straight when i installed the pulley.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

Update im still in my garage going crazy. The damn pulley probably due to my fault is on there all weird and the belt slips. I have the tools but somehow i cant seem to figure it out. Im freaking out. haha. btw, i wish to remove the pulley.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:48 AM
10 Second Club

i got a billet P/S pulley from Revextreme, but i havent installed it. These are the instructions TLewis gave me though:

You will need a special puller to remove the old plastic pulley & install the billet one. K-D tools part# 2897 is a good kit.

hope this helps
Old 09-06-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The split ring thing goes on a certain way, look at the ridge inside, make sure both are sitting the same way or one side pops off. I figured this out after a minute of scratching my head. just use the right length pin, and put the ring around the puller thingy (like my technical terms?) and screw it down and it should slide off. I used an impact gun and it came off pretty easily.

Should be instructions in the box too.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:29 AM
Staging Lane

yeah i know about those rings. I got it to work on the one that is useless. the one on the car on the other hand doesn't seem to let the split rings stay tight.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, guys i dont know wtf to do. I mean the pulley on there is brand new. But it doesn't line up with the tensioner.. Its like i can't get it to go any further.And its damn ******* wobbly.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

Just done this a week ago. The split ring one and the sleeve go a certain way. One side has more bevel than the other. i think the less bevel goes toward the pulley. Could be the other way though. Both need the same. I see you have it apart. You remember what pieces go with what? If not I can get some pics if needed of what parts go where.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete_Dragoon
Ok, guys i dont know wtf to do. I mean the pulley on there is brand new. But it doesn't line up with the tensioner.. Its like i can't get it to go any further.And its damn ******* wobbly.

Dude, are you now installing a pulley? Your first post indicates removal, but this looks like an install.

If you are installing the pulley, you'll need a tool (easy to make). Take a piece of GRADE 8 (unless you want it to break) 3/8-16 allthread rod about 6" long and weld or peen a nut to one end so it's locked together. Take another nut and run it up the threads about 4". put 2 heavy flat washers (with some grease between them) against the nut. Thread the free end into the pump shaft as far as you can by hand and take up the slack on the free nut so the washers are against the pulley. Hold the welded nut with one wrench while pulling up the pulley with the free nut until the belts are in alignment. It will be tough going but not too hard...

Russ
Old 09-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

i want to remove it but it doesn't seem to work. Its already in there so maybe i can fix it without removing. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete_Dragoon
i want to remove it but it doesn't seem to work. Its already in there so maybe i can fix it without removing. Sorry about the confusion.

sounds like you just installed it bad, you can use the above procedure to install it, also if you buy a new ps pump that screw and nut setup usually comes with it, you could go get one from the box or buy the pump and return it... many solutions but it sounds like you need an actual installer. how did you get it on anyway, tell me you didnt hammer it on.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

No, actually i used the installer that came with the new ps pump. I usually don't mess up lil installing things. But for some reason this one is hard.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:14 AM
Staging Lane

ok i got it straight. Man i hate universal tools. thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Help with power steering pulley puller ls1. 2000