Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

???waterpump To Bleed Coolant???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008 | 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question ???waterpump To Bleed Coolant???

the waterpump sits higher than the coolant bleed pipe under the intake manifold and coolant bleeds best at the highest point. i would like to remove the coolant bleed pipe for a cleaner setup and install plugs by wegner in all 4 holes

could i tap the top flat part of the waterpump and run a hose from the waterpump to the radiator?
Old 09-14-2008 | 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure you could do it...you can do anything. HOw effective it would be, that is the question. The purpose of the coolant pipe is to keep air pockets from gathering in the heads, forming hot spots. Those hot spots could cause problems (elevated op temps) and maybe detonation. I could be wrong, but just my thoughts on the subject.
Old 09-14-2008 | 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GA95DCMSS
I'm sure you could do it...you can do anything. HOw effective it would be, that is the question. The purpose of the coolant pipe is to keep air pockets from gathering in the heads, forming hot spots. Those hot spots could cause problems (elevated op temps) and maybe detonation. I could be wrong, but just my thoughts on the subject.
well i tried doing a search on this and couldnt find what i was looking for. i seen this in a thread a long time ago and cant find it. i read up that the waterpump sits higher so wouldnt it bleed air better than the coolant bleed pipe? wouldnt it also prevent hot spots if its higher?
Old 09-14-2008 | 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking at pictures I don't think the waterpump is actually higher. I may be wrong. If it is, its only like 1/4" higher, not high enough that it will make a difference. At first I thought you were referring to this post in the FAQ. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=49.

The LS1 has natural steam passages to route hot steam back to the radiator, hence the steam lines. same thing on LT1s, except theirs is on the back of the head. Why not use what the factory gave you? It worked damn near perfect for my swap.

Last edited by GA95DCMSS; 09-14-2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Edited duh.
Old 09-14-2008 | 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

Looking at pictures I don't think the waterpump is actually higher. I may be wrong. If it is, its only like 1/4" higher, not high enough that it will make a difference. At first I thought you were referring to this post in the FAQ. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=49
similar to that post but instead of running that hose to the bleed pipe, running it to the barb on the radiator and installing plugs in all 4 bleedpipe holes
Old 09-14-2008 | 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard of people doing that, i just can't think of any off hand that have done it. I don't think that would be any different than running a hose from the steam pipe to the radiator, or 2 inches away from the top of the water pump. Not knocking your idea by any means, just don't get it. Maybe someone else will chime in and be of more help.
Old 09-14-2008 | 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

just curious on the setup i had in mind to clean things up a lil. GM system does work good damn good tho
Old 09-14-2008 | 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

I've heard of people doing that, i just can't think of any off hand that have done it. I don't think that would be any different than running a hose from the steam pipe to the radiator, or 2 inches away from the top of the water pump. Not knocking your idea by any means, just don't get it. Maybe someone else will chime in and be of more help.
so people have tried the idea i had in mind? i cant find that post so i need word of mouth for security
Old 09-14-2008 | 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They didn't tap the water pump, just replaced the steam pipe with block-offs like on the rear of the heads.
Old 09-14-2008 | 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

has anyone tried the setup im talking bout....or heard of it?
Old 09-14-2008 | 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

is the factory steam tube more effective than eliminating the tube and blocking the holes and drilling the waterpump and running a hose from the waterpump to the radiator?
Old 09-15-2008 | 05:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure the steam tube would be more effective. There are no steam passages in the water pump. I say go for it if you think it will work.
Old 09-15-2008 | 05:56 AM
12 Second Club

While I am interested in seeing how this works out I certainly wont be the one to try it first. You can barley see the cross over pipe on my set up so it not a big deal to me anyway, but I would be a little concerned about hot spots in the heads with that blocked off, but I am certainly no expert on this kind of thing
Old 09-15-2008 | 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fatdave
While I am interested in seeing how this works out I certainly wont be the one to try it first. You can barley see the cross over pipe on my set up so it not a big deal to me anyway, but I would be a little concerned about hot spots in the heads with that blocked off, but I am certainly no expert on this kind of thing
haha ya im not gonna try it either unless i see it done or hear positive word of mouth

Quick Reply: ???waterpump To Bleed Coolant???