Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do i do after long-tube headers and off-road y-pipe?
replace loudmouth resonator w/ Borla xr1 muffler
25.00%
keep it how it is, it's loud and mean as hell!
40.38%
replace resonator w/ something else. post your opinion!
34.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

what should i do w/ my slp loudmouth after lt's and ory?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i just took the car for the first drive after finishing it up and at idle its sound good and deep then just coasting its quiet but when i give gas its LOUD!.
it sounds good just too loud for me so i might get a magnaflow or hooker to quiet it down some then run a e-cutout for the track. will adding a bullet the the i pipe quiet it down at all?
Old 09-21-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should leave it as is. You'll get used to the sound and it won't be as loud. Unless you really don't like it then I'd recommend some cats.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

i love my set up woth teh pacesetter headers, ory, and lm1. i geta ton of compliments. i am stationed in WA and i dont get any pulled over er nothin since i can keep the rpm low cuz teh car is a m6. only time i got in trouble was for a burnout. cop was just jelouse
Old 09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

throw it in the gutter and go buy another...catback that is.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Certified Exhaustaholic here - I am currently on what must be my eight different exhaust configuration in the 9 years Ive had my car

Some things I've tried - stock manifolds and Y with several different cat-backs, long tubes with ORY and various cat-backs, long tubes and high flow cats with cut-out, 3" true dual with X-pipe and single chamber flows etc etc...

Currently I have long tubes with a catted Y and a chamber mouth. IMO, if you're going to have long tubes and a LM cat-back, you need cats. They help with the noise.

I recently replaced the LM1 resonator with a short chambered muffler but as another poster had said, "the longer the better". So while I was able to make the shorter one fit while on my back in the driveway, it didnt make enough of a difference. I eneded up getting the longer version.

The longer one is not really a DIY mod because it requires the elimination of the S-bend tube from the LM kit. When you take that tube out, the rear section will no longer line up correctly.

I ended up taking the car to a local muffler shop. I had them weld in the chambered section. As for the rear section, I started out thinking they may have to rebuild everything back there to get it all lined up again. I had that moment of panic - "Why did I touch it?!!" lol

However, they simply heated and bent the hanger brackets & tailpipes until everything was level and pointing straight out the back again. They made it look easy actually, but any good mechanic should be able to replicate that work.

For me it was worth every penny ($60 something for the chambered pipe and $110 for the muffler shop labor) because I am totally in love with the sound of the exhaust now

It just sounds great to me no matter how I'm driving the car. I do have a 6 speed so I can't speak for the guys with an auto but my car has never sounded better then it does today

I hope this helps some of you guys.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Launching!

wow. lots of advice... i love how my car sounds at idle and WOT, but I hate the in between area where there's all the rasp. sounds like a pos truck w/ glasspacks or something. i might give borla a try, as it does sound popular and affordable. TFFMP, what kind of chambered muffler did you get/ where?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transam0486
wow. lots of advice... i love how my car sounds at idle and WOT, but I hate the in between area where there's all the rasp. sounds like a pos truck w/ glasspacks or something. i might give borla a try, as it does sound popular and affordable. TFFMP, what kind of chambered muffler did you get/ where?
I was like you... idle was great, running through the gears was great - there was just a lot of other rpm where I did not like the sound.

I got the exhaust from a non sponsor web site... sent you a PM
Old 09-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Launching!

awesome. i like the price. soo does it sound much better than the borla in your opinion?? do you have any pics? i might do what you did.. i've heard the gmmg chambered and it sounds sweet.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

I replaced my resonator with a moroso spiral flow and love it. Not much rasp and a killer sound. Quieter when cruising but still screams at WOT. I recently bought a e-cut out but want to put it in my i-pipe (where the spiral flow is) so i'm going to install 1 spiral flow into each tail pipe.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Launching!

so it's definitely between borla and that chambered setup TFFMP went with. still undecided...
Old 09-25-2008, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vndcatr
Which cats did you go with ?
TSP Catted Y...Magnaflow I think.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnaflow will sound the best.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

i went ahead and ordered a 3in single in single out ss magnaflow thats from the same line as what they use in there whole catbacks.
its a 4x9 case overall lenght is 24in and the case is 18in.
i talked to the tech guys at magnaflow and they said it should sound really good and now the lm2 muffler sounds like some of you guys described good at idle and when its wot but in between it sounds like an old pick up lol.
from what i have heard on the net the magnaflow should sound sweet.
i dont know if you could get a muffler like i ordered to work on your car if you have the whole lm1 catback.
my car is all custom its just 3in pipe over the axle into the magnaflow then just a hidden tip sort of like a v6 car but you cant really see the tip because its tucked up there good.
ill post a video of how it sounds when i get the muffler in and installed.
next will be a qtp e-cutout for the track.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:19 AM
On The Tree

personally, i love the way it sounds. its funny becuase ive been running my setup since 06 and have yet to get a ticket. headers/ory/catback...no cats...but i do hate the droning at certain parts of the powerband...

heres a vid if you care to see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aTxKDKXc1s

now that im having my cam installed when i go home for break, im prlly going to get the resonator from slp to tone it down just a liittle bit...otherwise, it sounds great. hope your happy with the final product
Old 09-26-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have it, i really like it and have had no troubles with cops. I've even been pulled over for speeing and they haven't even commented on exhaust haha.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Launching!

magnaflow sounds better than borla? ...i realize a lot of this is opinion
Old 09-29-2008, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

well i got the magnaflow put on today and i have to say its quiet and sounds really good and deep. its close to the same sound level when i had the lm2 and the stock mani's and cats.
i got a e-cutout on the way for the track
ill be at the dyno tomorrow evening so ill post up a dyno vid as soon as i can.
im going to make a complation of my car with pics and sound clips,track runs and so on ill post that up also once its done.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Striped02WS6
try out the new slp catback...go to thier site and listen to it....if you already have the loudmouth you can buy the conversion kit and convert your existing catback into it....check it out its called the powerflo
The powerflow setup has a NICE sound to it. I think I could get away with daily driving that as much as I do (140 miles a day) without tickets.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

well i have LT's ORY slp lm set up with Twister race muffler inplace of the slp,its the same as the spiral flow and i like it,its smooth and quite in the cockpit but somtimes i want to make alot of niose so i got a slp resonator,so im going to put it in here in a couple of days when i get it.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

get rid of it and get something that actually sounds clean and good.........my 2 cents

Quick Reply: what should i do w/ my slp loudmouth after lt's and ory?