Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best street legal headers/ypipe combo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in Mass as well and don't have cats and pass inspection fine
Old 09-26-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dannyo210
^ that's a fact, lol.

Not enough people in MA drive muscle cars. Seeing one over here in western mass is a rarity, too many old guys are keeping their toys garaged, heh. There's no speed shops around anymore! The people that drive 4th gen f-bodies don't take very good care of them from what I've seen, although I am an exception!

The big scene is all imports now and it makes me cry a little bit.
problem is the weather and roads suck. come to slowhawks open house october 4th. you might want to remove that chokemaster catback first
Old 09-26-2008, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also see you get away without having a front license plate? Or did you take it off for the picture.. lol

The flowmaster was on the car when I bought it a few months ago, haven't had the cash and reason to replace it yet. It sounds good, but I will go with a magnaflow or gmmg.

Did the lid, gears, and clutch .. I might do lcas soon but, basically I am looking at doing full exhaust and a cam in the spring

Last edited by dannyo210; 09-26-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
problem is the weather and roads suck. come to slowhawks open house october 4th. you might want to remove that chokemaster catback first
Yeah, I will most definately have slowhawk do my tuning. Hear GREAT things.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

I also see you get away without having a front license plate? Or did you take it off for the picture.. lol
yeah no front license plate for me my sig pic is an older one. i have a carbon fiber grille on now.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah cost is a pretty big factor, though I would love to buy that ARH setup.. My reason for going with the catted y? Inspection. I highly doubt I would be able to pass in Massachusetts because everybody is **** about it around here.

Stainless would be best I guess, seeing as the car might see a little winter. I'll just have to put some more money aside
I'm from MA too and went with the catted y-pipe (ARHs) even though they haven't visually checked my car. Just in case it's probably worth giving up a few hp for the peace-of-mind.

Also, if they smell fuel (without cats) they may want to take a closer look at your car, so I think you're smart going for a catted-y. JMO.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're truly looking for street legal, NO longtube or midlength header is street legal. They're all for offroad use only because they all relocate the catalytic converters. The ONLY street legal header/y-pipe combos are shorties with a CARB number. They're your only option if you want to be truly street legal.

If you just mean a catted setup, there are too many to pick from. It depends on your budget and needs. If you're like me, I'd only consider a stainless steel header. I went with QTP's because they're considerably cheaper than the competition and offer the best merge collectors in the industry on a standard shelf 1 3/4" LT. I'm overall happy with them and I saved a bunch of money compared to Kooks and ARH.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Well, I'm not so sure getting shorty headers are the thing to do... Will they replace the stock manifolds and bolt right up to the stock cats? Unless I'm mistaken, from what I've read they hardly outflow the later style stock manifolds.. or is there a decent power gain from them? It'd be a ton less money spent on my part, but if I were to put in a cam, would there be enough flow from just the shorty headers?

I think if I go with a catted y with longtubes, I won't have problems passing inspection.

If I were to go with ARH headers & stainless steel catted y, ~$1400 shipped
versus, QTP headers & aluminized steel catted y, ~$1300 shipped?

I'd rather go with a stainless y pipe if was to spend that much money.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

I'm from the Mass also. What do they do to the car to get it to pass inspection with no cat's?? Is it just re-programming? Just wondering???
Old 09-26-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

If I were to go with ARH headers & stainless steel catted y, ~$1400 shipped versus, QTP headers & aluminized steel catted y, ~$1300 shipped?

I'd rather go with a stainless y pipe if was to spend that much money.
Don't forget the quality of the ARH system, the QTP Y pipe fits like garbage and most of their header collectors leak because they over swedge the female portion of the slip - fit primary connection (the one tube that is unwelded in the header/merge collector interface assembly)

Ask me how I know...
Old 09-26-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BKDZ28
I'm from the Mass also. What do they do to the car to get it to pass inspection with no cat's?? Is it just re-programming? Just wondering???
You have to edit the readiness tests to pass inspections. If the emissions tests show "ready," you pass. I think you can have up to two tests showing "not ready" and still pass.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Launching!

ChocoTaco369 is right. In Massachusetts, MGL Chapter 90 section 16 states that you may only change the exhaust if it is no louder than the stock one. I am paraphrasing of course. Usually as long as you show "Ready" you will pass. Cats are just good piece of mind in case you run into a mustang fan just itching to fail you!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Ive had Flowtech, Hooker and Now Kooks with a Kooks Catted Y pipe..

If i can do it all over again, i would definally go with the Kooks again.. Hands down the best.

Perfect fitment, no issues .. The pipe with the cats tuck up so nice its crazy.. You get what you pay for. I told myself this setup im not cutting corners and im not!
Old 09-27-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try CA emissions, they suck *****!

Quick Reply: best street legal headers/ypipe combo?