Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New exhaust poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008 | 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Default New exhaust poll

For those of you who are familiar with LS1 F Body exhaust in terms of the driver side pipe to ground clearance and driver side pipe to car clearance please take a moment to comment on the style you would rather have. This would go for a y pipe as well as duals.

1) 3" pipe with flattened section (best ground clearance)

2) 3" pipe with no flat section (less clearance, will hit car, must put some type of cushion between pipe and floor of car to prevent contact)

3) 3" pipe with no flat section but with a bend to go under the floor brace (worse ground clearance but should clear floor of car without banging)

Just a thought.
Old 09-29-2008 | 01:22 AM
12 Second Club

T W O
Old 09-29-2008 | 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

i dunno. 1 & 2
Old 09-29-2008 | 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

1.. 2 is not really an option.. what would you use to "cushion"? I mean it would have to be something that doesn't melt/catch fire so that leaves header wrap or something hard that will thud and eliminate the purpose of putting a cushion there anyway..

Plus having a whored out y-pipe is all the rage.. haha.. Mine has to be the biggest ***** of them all.. everyone has had it out and beat on it a little..

As for 3, you'll probably hate life if you go that route.. haha...
Old 09-29-2008 | 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
1.. 2 is not really an option.. what would you use to "cushion"? I mean it would have to be something that doesn't melt/catch fire so that leaves header wrap or something hard that will thud and eliminate the purpose of putting a cushion there anyway..

Plus having a whored out y-pipe is all the rage.. haha.. Mine has to be the biggest ***** of them all.. everyone has had it out and beat on it a little..

As for 3, you'll probably hate life if you go that route.. haha...
Silicone rubber is good to over 600°F.
Old 09-29-2008 | 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

The flat section of pipe is what I prefer, like the Hooker, Jet Hot, and Pacesetter Y pipe. Even with that you may still need a little something for cushion.

Anyway, there may be a new y pipe and a set of duals out soon.
Old 10-01-2008 | 07:37 PM
Teching In

I just put #1 on my WS6 and the "clearance" was about 1/8". So I took some hot water heater hose from Lowe's and a couple worm clamps and stuck a couple pieces in between. Pipe doesn't bang and the hose doesn't melt.
Old 10-01-2008 | 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I like the #1 the best. I just aquired a set of Pacesetter headers for my car and I will be removing the ebay stainless ones to install the Pacesetters. Reason for this is to build a couple of systems to send to the people who will be manufacturing the systems for me. Ultimately I want a true full mandrel bent kit instead of mandrel bends cut up and welded together.

Once I get the prototype systems done I will post pics and see if there is a market big enough for them for me to justify paying the stiff sponsor fee on here to sell them.

There is going to be a y pipe using the Flowmaster merge with several options. Different merge outlet sizes, reducers, cutouts, etc.

A dual system with H pipe and some oval mufflers. Haven't decided what kind of mufflers yet.
Old 10-01-2008 | 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

option 2 is not a good idea.
if you put a cushion there, you're using your headers and y pipe as a motor mount.
this can make things ugly when you try to take that drivers side manifold off that aluminum head... on the positive side, you could end up needing to upgrade your heads.
Old 10-01-2008 | 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

The exhaust FAQs show a Thunder Racing mount for the y-pipe to eliminate banging. Looks very professional and it appears you don't have to do a floor penetration. It bolts to the floor brace. Pretty slick
Old 10-02-2008 | 07:11 AM
TECH Junkie

poly motor mounts

3" ypipe with very minor clearanceing (flat spots). my exhaust was 1/4" from my frame and never hit under load.

forget the redneck way...do it right.

now i have 3" true duals the same way...only they aren't even clearanced.

here is a picture of how my Flowtech ypipe was clearanced:

i did some calculations. if you indent the pipe 1/2", flat across the top for clearance with the frame, you're only losing 9% of the cross sectional area of the 3" pipe.
basically you're still maintaining the equivalent flow of a 2 7/8" pipe.

still pretty damn good, more than enough to flow for even the bigger h/c motors.

Last edited by teke184; 10-02-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-02-2008 | 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Awesome, man. One definately. Ground clearance is very important. Here's an idea: How about the Oval pipe section that Dr. Gas sells? It goes from 3" round, to Oval, and back to 3" round. They're pricey, but they would provide the best ground clearance. And as far as flow thru a flat portion of pipe (like the pacesetter) I cant see anyone experiencing ANY type of HP loss due to it.

Here's a picture of my PaceSetter Y pipe with a FlowMaster Merge. It helped tremendously. Killed the rasp, opened up the top end ALOT (so much that it sort of sucked a little away from the bottom end), and made it sound deeper.

Everyone should get poly mounts. Period. Stop complaining about pipes banging and just fix it. Garden hoses are for watering flowers.
Old 10-02-2008 | 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I like the #1 the best. I just aquired a set of Pacesetter headers for my car and I will be removing the ebay stainless ones to install the Pacesetters. Reason for this is to build a couple of systems to send to the people who will be manufacturing the systems for me. Ultimately I want a true full mandrel bent kit instead of mandrel bends cut up and welded together.

Once I get the prototype systems done I will post pics and see if there is a market big enough for them for me to justify paying the stiff sponsor fee on here to sell them.

There is going to be a y pipe using the Flowmaster merge with several options. Different merge outlet sizes, reducers, cutouts, etc.

A dual system with H pipe and some oval mufflers. Haven't decided what kind of mufflers yet.
Sounds good man. Hurry up with that dual H system though! I want to buy my duals soon, but if you come up with that, then hell yea. Just run magnaflow bullets for the time being, or borla stingers. Then take custom orders on the mufflers from customers? May be too much work, but might help generate sales at the same time. Will this be stainless? Also...prices
Old 10-02-2008 | 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

ovalize the 3 inch pipe in a press...it'll flow fine.
Old 10-02-2008 | 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I like what I am hearing so far.

The Dr. Gas flat to round pipe will drive the price of the y pipe right out of the market.
Old 10-02-2008 | 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

TWO, mine is...
Old 10-02-2008 | 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, it pretty much would, at like $75 per little section. A Y with the PaceSetter's flat spots would be fine. People who are concerned with the flat spots hurting the flow are the same people that would buy headers with 5" primaries and a 9" collector... if someone made them Or if TSP offered a 4" true dual system they'd be all over it. The truth is, 3" piping will support us to a level of HP that 90% of us will never need. I am not, however, arguing that 3" pipe is too big. Its just right. But like it was stated before, a 9% reduction in flow wont hurt anything. People concerned with getting every last drop go with duals. The rest of us either want to control the noise a little, or have really good ground clearance at the expense of a tiny bit of top-end. Personally, I am trying to switch over to the 4" single exit Mufflex (roughly 11% less area than two 3" pipes) but mainly for the sound