Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought Pacesetters LT Headers & Y Pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought Pacesetters LT Headers & Y Pipe...

I'm a newb to the american muscle car world and recently just bought a 99 z28. I love my car and want to get into working on it... so sorry if i sound like a newb but thats why i signed up here to learn some stuff.......I just recieved all my stuff today Pacesetters LT Headers w/ egr and ory pipe...I have never installed stuff like this on a car and i was wondering if anybody has found a write up on installing all this. I thought it was going to be easy but i got box full of nuts,bolts, gaskets, wire, and little red tubes which confused me and have no clue what to do with....i'm wondering if there is any write ups on installing all this.....and if i can't do it im wondering what the cost would be to let a mechanic do it? i m guessing around 500-600 dollars...
Old 10-08-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Search for 'header install' and you'll find a bunch of info on here
Old 10-08-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

it shouldnt be that hard to install yourself if you are mechanically inclined. and im assuming you bought the car used, so you need to see if you even have the egr or air system on the car. mine didnt when i bought it. and if you think it is too difficult it cost about $400-$500 for a shop to do it. good luck man.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1. I've always reused the stock header gaskets and bolts.

#2. Make sure you get the car high enough. It has to be high!

#3. The passenger side header slides in super easy, but on every car I've installed Pacesetters on...the casting tab on the driver side of the block gets in the way...I just use a sawzall and cut it off easy.

#4. Go to a local auto parts store and ask for 3" band clamps. O'Reillys has them cheap for around $8 each... So much better than the crap U-bolts that comes with the Pacesetters...and makes the Y-pipe easier to remove if you ever had to remove it.

#5. Just go ahead and order O2 sensor extensions, easier and more reliable, IMO. Most of the sponsors sell them for around $18 each..I always order from ls1speed.com
Old 10-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Appreciate the feedback...Yes i bought it used but I'm pretty sure the egr/air is still there because by the looks of it the car seems untouched i got to look to make sure though...yes i did buy the o2 extensions i researched enough to catch that. I'll make sure I buy the band clamps because when i saw the U's i was like hmmmm? I live on a military base and we can use the car lifts for free so getting high shouldn't be too much of a problem. Ha I don't think i'm really too much mechanically inclined i haven't worked on cars for a couple years because of the crazy deployment schedules but i'll give it a shot....thanks again
Old 10-08-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

It's pretty straight forward......remove and replace
Old 10-08-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look at putting new plugs on your car also, its easier with the headers off...
Old 10-09-2008, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

I don't consider myself especially mechanically inclined and I installed my headers/y/spark plugs/wires the past weekend. Just make sure you have a couple buddies that enjoy this kind of thing to help you out. Also someone with little arms (circumference wise) is needed. I also removed the EGR/AIR system and it was very very easy. Just search for removal of these systems and you will find the posts. The only real trouble I had was with the last 2 bolts on my passenger side, it was very difficult to get them out and back in. Also fitting the y-pipe properly without leaks is a strenuous process. Enjoy and good luck
Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard motor mounts should also be replaced while you're there.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AiDRocks
I heard motor mounts should also be replaced while you're there.
It can only help, but it is not necessary.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by krazy4
It can only help, but it is not necessary.
LOL not necessary if you dont mind the y pipe smacking the floor eveytime you get on it
Old 10-09-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

www.ls1howto.com Seriously, just take your time, once you get into it you wont even need to follow a guide. Its pretty straight forward.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28SS
LOL not necessary if you dont mind the y pipe smacking the floor eveytime you get on it
LOL, but yea you should change your motor mounts with some poly motor mounts since your already under the car and already have everything off, just my .02
Old 10-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by motoo344
www.ls1howto.com Seriously, just take your time, once you get into it you wont even need to follow a guide. Its pretty straight forward.
thanks for showing me that website thats what i needed appreciate it.