Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can you get a LS1 over 350whp without opening it up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Numbers don't mean much, just need to use the dyno as a tool to determine if you car is healthy, ie AFR correct, power is in line with mods done.

Full bolt ons will typically take a LS1 to the 340-360HP level, depends on the dyno and if little extras in excess of bolt ons are done, ie FAST intake over LS6, electric water pump, lighter wheels/clutch setup/CF driveshaft, no cats, dumps etc.

Typical bolt ons is what most of us talk about, lid, port and polish TB, intake, headers, cat back, underdrive pulley. The cat back alone can easily swing +-10HP due to sound/emissions preferences. Cats, proper merge y-pipe, or true dual size and muffler selection will add or remove potential HP.

On the same dyno, I went from 306->349->380HP at the wheels, 306 would be what I consider stock, I went to a LS6 intake and lid but lost power due to the LS7 clutch.

349 represented full exhaust true duals + tune.

380HP was when I added a cam.

So as long as you are gaining relative to what you are doing to the car, it doesn't matter that someone got 10 more hp in their car, it matters that your car made the gain over stock, hence why having a baseline and the same dyno being used is really important.

Quick Reply: can you get a LS1 over 350whp without opening it up?