Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip on Cometic head gasket install

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tip on Cometic head gasket install

One of mine leaked when I first installed them, even though it looked perfectly aligned, and was slid down over studs.

The center gasket has an inner core cut like four siamesed o-rings. The outer core fits tight against the inner core, and they lightly snap into place.

Turns out the copper gasket spray is partially to blame. Like other people I sprayed between the sheets as well as the outside. If the inner part of the center gasket shifts, it sticks to the gasket spray and sticks in an overlap position.

So, when installing cometics, place the gasket on the block. Then slide your finger under the first sheet between the cylinders and around each cylinder. The seam between the inner and outer core should feel flat and smooth.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Tip on Cometic head gasket install

For what it's worth, the gasket sections were out of place after I checked it to insure the core was aligned, and slid it over the studs.

The most telling section is between the cylinders. If the tongues don't fit between the siamesed cylinder rings, the rings are overlapped.

Quick Reply: Tip on Cometic head gasket install