Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What h/c/i combo to go with

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008 | 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Default What h/c/i combo to go with

Prolly about spring time next year I'm going to be looking to do h/c/i. I'm not looking for a ton of power, between 360-400 hp/tq would be nice. I've got a stock 2002 T/A with nothing other than an slp exhaust on it right now. How much of a gain would I be looking at from just porting my stock heads and intake and buying a cam? What about buying stock LS6 heads and intake and putting a cam along with them? I'm trying to keep the costs decently low. And of course after doing any of these I would get it tuned.
Old 10-24-2008 | 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get headers and a Y pipe first then do intake and cam. With a decent size cam you'll have your goal of 400 at the wheels.
Old 10-24-2008 | 11:40 PM
On The Tree

What about the TSP x pipe? I would like to have dual exhaust instead of the Y pipe. And would I need to go with a FAST intake would an LS6 or ported LS6 be enough?

I'd really prefer to have an X or H pipe but it seems that very few companies make them for our cars?
Old 10-25-2008 | 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

X pipe and duals would be better. Do you want them to go all the way to the back or are you going to dump them? If you want to spend the money get the fast. If your trying to save $$ get the ls6. Bottom line cams need to breathe. get the exhaust and intake opened up first then a cam or a H/C.
Old 10-25-2008 | 12:24 AM
On The Tree

I think I want them all the way back not sure. I'd prolly see how they sound just dumped and decide from there
Old 10-25-2008 | 04:25 AM
Banned

Loud.

For your goals, ARH headers, U/D pulley, Duals or Y and a good catback, cam and spring upgrade.. I'd look at the TR224 from Thunder Racing.. very proven camshaft. Keep your LS6 intake, and add a lid obviously. Get some tuning adjustments for the cam. M6, 3.42 gears are fine, with an A4, you want to upgrade the stall.. something around 3200 would be fine and very driveable.

When people inevitably come in here and tell you to get big cams, don't. You don't sound like you want a racecar idle, and you want stock-like drivability. Trust me, if you want a bigger cam later, a swap isn't hard to do. The stock 241's are fine for your goals. no need to pull those off to do what you want.

You should be right around 400 at the wheels, 380 if you have a stalled auto.
Old 10-25-2008 | 04:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

F13 cam.. keep your ls6 intake.. 373s for an A4 with at least a 3k stall.. 373s or 410s for a m6.. lid.. true duals dumped before axle..

thats only gonna net you about 360ish on an a4 and 390ish on an m6..

if i were you id throw on some 5.3s while your at it. you will be glad you did in the long run!
Old 10-25-2008 | 04:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

I can spec you a cam that will get you there "400" cam only and very streetable.
Are M6 or A4?
You'll need headers,
Old 10-25-2008 | 04:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I can spec you a cam that will get you there "400" cam only and very streetable.
Are M6 or A4?
You'll need headers,
this would be your best route! would save money..
Old 10-25-2008 | 08:39 AM
Banned

Well in order to realisticly help you ... we need to know your budget

Predator can spec a cam for 400 at the wheel with the heads you have now. Those 241 are fine, if you touch them up you need to know what your doing or you could hurt them.

Supporting mods are always needed. The engine needs to breath better so you look at air going in and coming out and lessen the restrictions.

Do you have an auto or stick? That will make a difference in the dyno number you see. Auto's show at track not on the dyno.

The TSP true duals is a free flowing exhaust and would certainly help, but its dumped and is loud. Very loud..LOL If your standing beside it at WOT on the dyno it rattles your ear wax. Sounds mean but is loud.

Headers?? Your going to want them and so budget comes into play again..LOL
You've got an ls6 intake so your really ok there.
Old 10-26-2008 | 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Are M6 or A4?
You'll need headers,
I've got an M6
Old 10-26-2008 | 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Well in order to realisticly help you ... we need to know your budget

Predator can spec a cam for 400 at the wheel with the heads you have now. Those 241 are fine, if you touch them up you need to know what your doing or you could hurt them.

Supporting mods are always needed. The engine needs to breath better so you look at air going in and coming out and lessen the restrictions.

Do you have an auto or stick? That will make a difference in the dyno number you see. Auto's show at track not on the dyno.

The TSP true duals is a free flowing exhaust and would certainly help, but its dumped and is loud. Very loud..LOL If your standing beside it at WOT on the dyno it rattles your ear wax. Sounds mean but is loud.

Headers?? Your going to want them and so budget comes into play again..LOL
You've got an ls6 intake so your really ok there.

Budget is prolly around 1200 trying to keep it low. but I actually picked up a pair of shorties for real cheap, so now all I need is the mid pipe and cat back.

As far as I can tell I need a mid-pipe and mufflers I could either do the TSP with the mufflers that come with it or try to find a cheap used off-road x pipe and through some mufflers on that. I need a lid, and of course a cam. Eventually I want to upgrade the MAF and t/b, prolly have the intake machined out to match the tb but that will come later.
Old 10-26-2008 | 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pythias
Budget is prolly around 1200 trying to keep it low. but I actually picked up a pair of shorties for real cheap, so now all I need is the mid pipe and cat back.

As far as I can tell I need a mid-pipe and mufflers I could either do the TSP with the mufflers that come with it or try to find a cheap used off-road x pipe and through some mufflers on that. I need a lid, and of course a cam. Eventually I want to upgrade the MAF and t/b, prolly have the intake machined out to match the tb but that will come later.
man i would look into doing exhaust intake and a cam for 1200.. thats not gonna get you all supporting mods with it.. such as pushrods springs gaskets bolts oil.. and so on...

id do pacesetter LT's into a ypipe and put a cutout on it..
torqer 2 cam or something along those lines with supporting mods..
ls6 intake and port your TB..
tune..

that should get you very close to 400.. but im sure it will be over 1200..
Old 10-26-2008 | 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lemons12
man i would look into doing exhaust intake and a cam for 1200.. thats not gonna get you all supporting mods with it.. such as pushrods springs gaskets bolts oil.. and so on...

id do pacesetter LT's into a ypipe and put a cutout on it..
torqer 2 cam or something along those lines with supporting mods..
ls6 intake and port your TB..
tune..

that should get you very close to 400.. but im sure it will be over 1200..
I like the way you think.
Old 10-26-2008 | 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

i am going to put a set of pull off 243s with an ls6 intake and a ms3 cam and should make well over 400 hp. That is a rather large cam though. You need to get the supporting mods before you start breaking into the internals. If the engine cant breathe then you will just be choking it more with a cam.
Old 10-26-2008 | 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
I like the way you think.
Old 10-26-2008 | 08:35 PM
On The Tree

I agree I'll do the sup[porting mods first like maf and tb, im thinking though if I can simply get the existing intake manifold machined out that will be enough for what I want instead of a whole new one.

Is it hard to find a cheap offroad x pipe? Thats would I would much prefer to a Y pipe :?
Old 10-26-2008 | 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree I'll do the sup[porting mods first like maf and tb, im thinking though if I can simply get the existing intake manifold machined out that will be enough for what I want instead of a whole new one.

Is it hard to find a cheap offroad x pipe? Thats would I would much prefer to a Y pipe :?
my bad,you already have an ls6 intake.. so you are good on the intake.. no need to machine it or anything

screw the maf.. just port your TB..

you can have one custom bent for you for around 200.. i did pacesetters, and bought my 1 chamber FM's for 200 and for everything bent and welded on for 200.. so 400 for the whole thing..
Old 10-27-2008 | 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Lol you know as I was just driving back from lunch I started thinking. I have to do emissions everyyear, it would prolllyyy be easier if I DID just get an offroad Y pipe so that is the Only thing I have to change I was too caught up on the idea of have an x pipe to think of that, so I Prolly will jsut find a cheap used offroad Y pipe.

Will getting my tb machined be enough? What is the opening of the LS6 intake? I've heard maf is something good to get usually makes your car run better as well?

Is there a good website where I can find the specs for things like the LS6 intake my stock tb and all that stff, I'm still pretty new to LS1's

Last edited by Pythias; 10-27-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2008 | 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lol you know as I was just driving back from lunch I started thinking. I have to do emissions everyyear, it would prolllyyy be easier if I DID just get an offroad Y pipe so that is the Only thing I have to change I was too caught up on the idea of have an x pipe to think of that, so I Prolly will jsut find a cheap used offroad Y pipe.

Will getting my tb machined be enough? What is the opening of the LS6 intake? I've heard maf is something good to get usually makes your car run better as well?

Is there a good website where I can find the specs for things like the LS6 intake my stock tb and all that stff, I'm still pretty new to LS1's
Throttle body is 78mm, intake opening is 75.25mm... port your TB and you should be good for the intake.... i would then start on your exhaust..