Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with sewing machines

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003 | 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default For those with sewing machines

Well, I actually got a compliment from an old schooler on the sewing machine sound some of us high rampers have. We took the drive to Myrtle Beach this past weekend and as we entered the gate house where we were saying, the security guard, which is up there in age, asked if that car is suppose to sound like that. This was in a joking manner. I mentioned no. He comes right back "I haven't heard a car sound like that since the old days when cars came with solid lifters." He then asked if I installed solids. I replied no of cousre. Just a cam with high ramps. I then drove off. I guess I was kinda shocked. My car is pretty quiet on the exhaust side with the stock cme. So you can hear the valve train when I give it gas to take off.

I thought I would mention this. See, and some of you guys complain about it being to loud.
Old 09-16-2003 | 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: For those with sewing machines

i don't mind the noise. of course my exhuast covers up a lot of it. the only way i see it really being very anoying is if you're trying to go with a sleeper cam. other than that, who cares ? ?
Old 09-16-2003 | 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: For those with sewing machines

..this man is NOT long in the tooth ..everything is relative - OK...

I remember solid lifters well. ....your 20K tune up required you to remove the valve covers and set the valve lash....you also had to replace the plugs, set the points, and adjust the carberator...

...back then solid "rollers" were very uncommon ,,,,i don't recall any at all...

..anyway, the cars I remember did not have a lot of valve noise...they did go like, spit, however....