Sponsored by:

1990 Camaro RS possible Gen 3????

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
This post went wrong in so many ways.

1. Good god do a fricking search. Hell I've posted this link in every one of these 3rdgen threads.
http://www.team3rdgen.com/modules.php?name=3rdGenLS1
not to mention yet again TGO. Oh wait you didn't even post this in the right forum, conversions and hybrids, so I am asking a lot.
Wait now I understand the logic behind not doing a seach. You're one of those people that believe every, SBC is a 350, Every old school 350 is at least an Lt1 and every lt1/ls1 is the 'vette engine'
Skills required for ls1 swap > you
3. All the "OMGZ teh cost" posts in this thread.
Ok my ls1/t56 cost $2500 installed. $1000 of that was hawks headers.
So go ahead, tell me how you can get 340RWHP out of a 305TBI for $1500-$2500 which is what the RS the OP is talking about has?
4. All the "OMGZ teh time"
I DROVE the 3rd gen in the garage, and DROVE the 4thgen in also.
So including the time it took me to pull BOTH engines out of BOTH cars and install the LS1/T56 and drive it out of the garage was 10 weekend working days. That was the first time I did the swap. If I had to do it again I could cut it down to 6-7 days.
Just because you can't do something fast or cheap doesn't mean other's cant.

This thread is EPIC FAIL for some many reasons. But hey continue to post in it like the swap will happen!
You paid 1k for your headers? Wow, you got raped.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phoenix1987
Right along with every other 3rd genner that's bought them.
I agree they are way way over priced, but tell me an alternative that's better?
Old 10-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phoenix1987
yeah the only other option is to make ur own..........otherwise is like 900-1000 after shipping...
Old 10-29-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't assume that everyone in the world is capable of swapping engines like it's as easy as changing tires. what is easy to you and me may be mount everest for the next guy. Different skills, different aptitudes, and different people.

Changing the engine from one generation to another in one car isn't as straight forward as it seems, there's a lot of pitfalls here and there that some get over easily, while others go through a nightmare.

If you think that every Joe Doityourself is capable of such a feat, then you need to get out more in the world as if you ask a random person on the street, most of the time it will be greek talk to them.

It's best for someone to know as much as possible before jumping in headfirst into a project like this. There are plenty of resources, but like most people's grand parents, the internet isn't as easy to for some people. We're pointing out that there are things to make sure of, like cost, like time, and we've only scratched the surface of what potential snags you can encounter in a engine swap. I can look back and say I did, heads, cam exhaust, transmission rebuild etc on my car and think how easy it was, but first time around, I was scratching my head, crossing fingers, losing bolts, messing up here and there and what was supposed to take 4-6 hours took me 13 hours.

So if the op thinks he has the ***** to tackle a project like that, all the power to him. He knows now it isn't easy as 1-2-3 and its a disservice to him to convince him it is.

Quick Reply: 1990 Camaro RS possible Gen 3????