Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point is the LS6 Intanke Mani. not enough?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though I may disagree with VIPERBLUELX about the 5.3's I will say he is absolutly right in one thing-Choose your cam to match your heads! Too many people lately are trying to match a set of heads to the cam that they think is best, which is *** backwards.

If this is your first mod car and your dd stay with a 224 ish cam, maybe a small 230's. You dont want to go whole hog and realize that you have a dog around town because your power band is from 6500-7500 rpm. Smaller cams are easier to tune, easier to drive and make great power! Id recmend this thread to anyone getting into cams...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/683617-do-any-shops-market-small-cams-anymore-why-not.html

As far as my intake Im running an LS6. Also keep in mind that if you ran my combo on a 10 bolt it would make better dyno numbers, my 9 inch eats up a bit of power.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone ever think that maybe the reason the shops push cnc'd 5.3 so hard is because 5.3 castings are a dime a dozen compared to 243's and they make a lot more money off of them?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im debating the same thing as well. im running a 230 size cam. its a daily driver fun street car. i want to do heads and fast 92/92 at the same time. but i will probably run my LS6 intake first.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
You need to decide on the heads before you pick a cam. A properly sized cam will make more average horsepower, and have better driveability. Many on here are caught up in whoever has the biggest cam with the coolest name.
Haha! Actually, I hate to say it, but I was one of those people... And, I DEFINITELY did not know that, so thanks!

At least I can now say that I realize otherwise, but I am still inexperienced and seem to have much to learn.

Anyway, what cam specs would you recommend if I were to get unported 243 heads.

PS: I am still thinking about the TSP 228R, I hear that lots of people use them on their DD (mine is not necessarily my DD, but I like smoothness. I don't want to by jerking around the road, looking for a high powerband that I can't reach). So, tell me if you think that will be a good choice or not
Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If youre on a budget, forget the FAST, stick with the LS6. A lot of plp are pushing nice numbers with it. Invest on H/C instead. 400rwhp is easy. 228r is not big at all and would be a nice all around cam IMO.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Though I may disagree with VIPERBLUELX about the 5.3's I will say he is absolutly right in one thing-Choose your cam to match your heads! Too many people lately are trying to match a set of heads to the cam that they think is best, which is *** backwards.

If this is your first mod car and your dd stay with a 224 ish cam, maybe a small 230's. You dont want to go whole hog and realize that you have a dog around town because your power band is from 6500-7500 rpm. Smaller cams are easier to tune, easier to drive and make great power! Id recmend this thread to anyone getting into cams...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683617

As far as my intake Im running an LS6. Also keep in mind that if you ran my combo on a 10 bolt it would make better dyno numbers, my 9 inch eats up a bit of power.
What size cam has that power band? 25x/25x?
low 230's are nice daily driver imo
hi 230's/ low 240's is where id be if i had chosen the cam in my car.
Intake could gain you 10-20rwhp but its like dang near 1500 with a ported combo. Keep your ls6 unless you have money to waste.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

/\ dude take a chill pill i was being sarcastic to better convy my point, with heads a low 230's cam would make good power and be smooth as silk.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
If youre on a budget, forget the FAST, stick with the LS6. A lot of plp are pushing nice numbers with it. Invest on H/C instead. 400rwhp is easy. 228r is not big at all and would be a nice all around cam IMO.

Yeah it has become more apparent to me that I don't need such a large cam for my goal horsepower. However, I just realized that it really just between the TSP 228R and the TSP Torquer V.2. In the end, I just want the one that would be most useful in some serious road racing/track, and makes the most useful horsepower.

I guess, the last thing that I would need is a dyno graph comparison of the two, preferably with unported 243's. On to do some more research!

Wow, this really is a never ending search for power...
Old 11-01-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Huge cams are mostly for bragging rites, which some feel is necessary due to being subconscious about their incredibly small *****. If this isn't you, get a cam that will work best for your combo and goals.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

I have a small cam Dave.... What does that mean? lol

Anyways, the guys are right. Heads will make the ultimate decision on power imo. Go with the best heads in your budget and combine that with someone who knows how to match up cams. Just picking a cam because its sold does not mean thats the best cam choice for your ride. There are equations that go into this and there are a ton of people who will be willing to help you match a cam up for the best specs.

FAST is obviously a winner regardless of what anyone says. Look at all the 408+ guys and ask what they have.

BAh im ranting.

Heads, heads.... heads.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveX
Huge cams are mostly for bragging rites, which some feel is necessary due to being subconscious about their incredibly small *****. If this isn't you, get a cam that will work best for your combo and goals.
That's a lesbian thing to say.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RyanM02
Anyways, the guys are right. Heads will make the ultimate decision on power imo. Go with the best heads in your budget and combine that with someone who knows how to match up cams. Just picking a cam because its sold does not mean thats the best cam choice for your ride. There are equations that go into this and there are a ton of people who will be willing to help you match a cam up for the best specs.

Well, I'm going for heads that will just get me by. It seems that a lot of budget people go with 243's and I will probably do the same.

The questions is, what cam would match that properly for tight Road Racing with some Drag?

Also, could you direct me to these "people who will be willing to help me match a cam up for the best specs"?

Thanks lots!
Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by troopercar
That's a lesbian thing to say.
I must be a lesbian trapped in a man's body.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by facesmelt
I REALLY like those numbers! I would LOVE to achieve something like that.

By the way, what Intake are you running on that setup?

I'm probably going to go with 243s though. But, even though I don't understand why at all, I am probably actually going to go with a smaller cam than I was planning before. Maybe a TSP 228R, but can someone explain to me why going for a HUGE cam isn''t better in these setups?

I believed that bigger was better...

depends on your goals, mostly strip or street, care about driveability, how good your tuner is, what your budget is, what your heads are, your intake, gears, stall.... decide what you want to go with al that other stuff, then decide on your cam....

i bought my cam from a friend because i got a good deal.. didnt know too much about cams and stuff.... it was an ms4... therefore i had to get 410s 4000 stall and it narrowed my head selection... dont get me wrong, id do it again in a heart beat.. but would have considered many more options..