Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good God What Have I Done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum, if so feel free to move mods. Anyways, so I went for a little drive today I'm sure you have all done this when you were bored. I was going on a highway on ramp so I went WOT 2nd and 3rd gear, and here's where the problem comes in. I went to shift from 3rd to 4th, the car felt like it went into 4th fine but what I felt next tells me it didn't go into 4th AT ALL.

When I put it into gear the tach shot through the roof, a bunch of warning lights came on (the only one I saw before panic set it was ABS light). As soon as I noticed this I put the car in neutral but it was too late. It was hard to hear over road noise but I knew the car felt werid. I drove another 1/4 mile and pulled off at the next exit I could find. I shut the car off and let it sit for a few minutes. When I turned the car back on it had trouble starting, idle was all messed up (sounded like it had a huge cam in it) and the car shook severly. Needless to say I shut the car off and called for a tow.

No fluids were leaking from the car but something is definately messed up. The car is an M6 and I'm guessing instead of going into 4th I went into 2nd.... at 100mph!! Any guesses what kind of damage I did? I'm hoping I just floated a valve since the car was able to start up, but one of my friends thinks I may have thrown a rod and spun a bearing, I hope its not that bad...
sounds like a good excuse 4 some afrs and a nice custom grind cam.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1passion
sounds like a good excuse 4 some afrs and a nice custom grind cam.
I know, right. I was kind of hoping something punched through the block so I would have an excuse to buy an ls3
Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always hear about people doing this.

Maybe its just cause ive had my car 7+ years, but when i'm shifting, it's MORE then apparent if I went into the wrong gear. I definitly don't let the clutch out when I do it, cause the shift just feels wrong.

imo, i dunno about you guys.

90% of the people who do this just bent pushrods. I did a cam swap on a guys car who had two bent and one broken and did the same thing your car did. Changed the cam and valvesprings and it ran like new again.

good luck. worse comes to worse you bent a couple valves, got some free flycut work and have a great excuse to get a set of trick flows.