Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have Old Heads Ported or Buy Already Ported Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Have Old Heads Ported or Buy Already Ported Heads?

Hey Guys,

Looking for some info/opinions on cylinder heads. I have a pair of 98 LS1 vette heads that have 80k on them. I want to know if it is less expensive to have my heads rebuilt/ported/install large valves, or if I should purchase ones that are all done from either the guys here on the forums, or a company like Patriot, Dart, AFR, etc. I intend on building a supercharged 346 LS1 with a max of 600HP. If it is cheaper to have my heads rebuilt, who would do it and for what price? any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 11-02-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke1116
Hey Guys,

Looking for some info/opinions on cylinder heads. I have a pair of 98 LS1 vette heads that have 80k on them. I want to know if it is less expensive to have my heads rebuilt/ported/install large valves, or if I should purchase ones that are all done from either the guys here on the forums, or a company like Patriot, Dart, AFR, etc. I intend on building a supercharged 346 LS1 with a max of 600HP. If it is cheaper to have my heads rebuilt, who would do it and for what price? any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

By the time you pay for porting, valve job, seals, locks, springs, retainers and labor I think you come out better getting heads from a vendor if you are looking an OEM casting.

Remember, if you are going S/C you want a big chamber head like a 317 to drop your SCR so you need to plan accordingly.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think the Patriots would be the best way to go. Budget minded and with a d1sc you can hit your 600 mark. The money would be close by sending them your heads to have worked over instead, call them to find out but then you have to pay to ship your heads in both directions. I would think buying them direct would be better. The 98 ls1 head isn't a good starting point to begin with when compared to the later factory castings.