Sponsored by:

Heads for stock cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads for stock cam

All I can find when I search this information is what is the best cam for stock heads? Well I want to approach this a little differently and find out what is a good head for the stock ls1 cam? Is it patroit CNC ls6's, livernois motorsports, or another dealer? I don't wish to change my cam however the addition of an LS6 manifold and a set of heads is however on my list. So any information or personal input would be appreciated as I have yet to see any info regarding anything aside from stock 243 cast heads on a stock motor.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IF it were my car and I were set on the stock camshaft, I'd either go with a set of CNC ported 5.3L or LS6 heads. The LS6's have a slightly smaller chamber than the LS1 casting, so you get a very nominal bump in compression. Of course you can mill them some more to get the added benefit of that extra compression!

The 5.3L heads do not have to be milled so much to get the extra compression. They do however sacrifice a few CFM of flow compared to the LS6 heads. They are less expensive though, so that's a nice way to save a few bucks for that LS6 intake manifold!

We offer both the 5.3L and LS6 heads fully CNC ported and would be happy to help you with your combo!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it were me i would go with a set of milled ls6 heads for future upgradability.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

The price of the ls6 manifold isn't an issue as that will be required anyways, as well as ARP head studs. The heads I wouldn't mind spending some money on and $1500 isn't going to scare me away. I am also spraying a 150 shot if that helps any as far as a decision making process goes.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sroach20
if it were me i would go with a set of milled ls6 heads for future upgradability.
I'm not looking for future, I'm looking for a set to slap on and not have to change them and not worry about lost power on the table from the heads alone. I know I won't be able to pull the full potential out of the heads when my stock cam has only so little lift and I don't believe there is anything I can do about that.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you never plan on upgrading the cam i would go with the CNC 5.3L heads for the extra compression.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Alt
I'm not looking for future, I'm looking for a set to slap on and not have to change them and not worry about lost power on the table from the heads alone. I know I won't be able to pull the full potential out of the heads when my stock cam has only so little lift and I don't believe there is anything I can do about that.
then go with some 5.3 heads, they would be great for some spray.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Alt
put some 1.85 rocker on the car with the stock camshaft, get a set of 243 heads and have em milled .050 put an electric water pump and an ls6 intake long tubes and a good tune up and the car will run good.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

I was going to say same thing about the 1.85 I think the lift will go to 505
Old 11-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A customer of mine just did a set of Trick Flows on his car and it picked up 60rwhp. Car was stock motor with a procharger. Now hes hooked after we tuned it and is doing a cam and FAST 92 now. Let me know if you need anything your prob not too far from me since im in del.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

So the 1.85 rockers will increase the lift on the stock cam? News to me, thats something else for me to add to my list.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
A customer of mine just did a set of Trick Flows on his car and it picked up 60rwhp. Car was stock motor with a procharger. Now hes hooked after we tuned it and is doing a cam and FAST 92 now. Let me know if you need anything your prob not too far from me since im in del.
I got all excited about the 60rwhp till I saw he was boosted. ;-) Thats still a substantial gain though.

So my added parts list is growing with:
ARP Head Studs
1.85 rockers*
Valve cover spacer*
Headgasket suitable for nitrous
**** Heads
Old 11-06-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I were you I would get a set of 5.3 or worked LS6 heads with some comp 918's and throw an LS6 cam in the car. You will retain stock driveability because its a stock cam!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

I don't care about the drivability, I care about putting the cam in the car. Its not something that I want to do to the vehicle, dropping either the motor or everything in front of it is not my idea of a fun mod. Its something that I could very well do if I put myself up to it. I've put ls6 head/cam package in an LS1 on a stand for a chevelle, much easier out of the car. However I do not have the means to do something like that at my house.

Remaining on the motor without changing my cam I would like to make a good amount of power, by what nominal factor I cannot say. The rockers to increase lift of the stock cam, great idea I didn't think of. Nice heads will always make power on a motor, hell I might even look into a FAST manifold setup but I would believe that the LS6 would suit me alright. I can't really seem to find any info on a FAST manifold bolted onto a stock LS1 for gains. But with a good intake manifold/possible TB combo and nice flowing heads I will be happy with the output that I get. Remember I am spraying a 150shot on top of it. Its quite possible that I would back off to a 100 shot afterwards though, I don't need to set the world on fire, however I would like to be happy with my car how I build it.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

ETP and TEA get my vote if you're looking for a quality 243 head. Aftermarket, I'd take a look at WCCH's Edelbrock castings or even AFR's proven 205's.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

i understand the desire to keep the stock cam.. or at least the manners the stock cam provides. i know you didnt start this thread to hear this.. so i'll just briefly say there are some really sweet cams out there that will provide you with good vacuum for your brakes, smooth idle.. yet give you a solid 20 or more rwhp (on top of what the heads would net)with your nice heads

just sayin. even a Z06 cam would do you some real justice IMO, or maybe an old man cam. k i quit. but my vote on heads would be AFR 205s. if your gonna spend 1500 whats a few hundred more? if you search AFR 205s you could fall in love with the idea pretty quickly i have also wondered about just swapping heads on the stock cam.. aftermarket CNC'd factory castings cost almost the same as a high profile parts cam swap, and im sure with a really good set like the 205s you'd pick up engine efficiency (mpg as well) on top of great throttle response and power. just how my brain is wired anyhow.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

1510 AFR LS1 205cc fully CNC ported, 66cc chambers, Small Bore, complete w/parts 76 1 pair $2,365.00

Is that the AFR head you mentioned? Oh and I'm not all too worried about mpg, I have a work van and an '89 crx for a beater.